Menu

Yes, another art thread. Atelier vs. Artistic Pursuits art instruction?

Veritaserum

I'm mainly looking for a program for dd8. She really wants to further develop her drawing and painting abilities.

I'm unclear as to whether or not Artistic Pursuits is good for practical art instruction. I know there are art projects in AP, but it doesn't seem like there is much instruction on technique...or am I wrong here?

Atelier seems like it focuses more on technical instruction and less on art appreciation (opposite of AP?).

Which would you choose if your focus is more on technical instruction rather than appreciation?

Thanks! :)

In the Atelier Parent Manual, there is a section in the back on art appreciation. It has over 10 picture studies, along with the questions to ask to steer the conversation. You can purchase a pack of the color prints of the paintings. We use these very informally, and I add in a book from the Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists series by Mike Venezia.

Sorry I didn't answer your question.:blush: I meant to state that I didn't really have an answer.

I had AP and sold it because I just didn't find it easy enough to implement. I am an art slacker, unfortunately. I love Atelier because I just have to lay out the supplies and the teacher on the DVD walks her through the instruction. I've been very pleased with it, but am not sure which has the best technical instruction. Atelier has been quite varied in the concepts and mediums used.

Like Dawn mentioned :), Atelier is a wonderful fit for our family too. I have to admit that we haven't done this is a couple months (a LOT going on at home), but just the other day my son asked to get back into it. So after break it will be one of our fine arts day activities. It is laid out very nicely and is simple for "me" to use. I have 4 children (7 to 13) and they all enjoy watching the video and doing the projects. I highly recommend it. :)

I like Atelier more than SP - it's a whole lot more pick-up-and-go. If you have the supplies on hand you pretty much stick in the dvd and stand by with the pause button so the kids have time to finish what they are doing. The projects we've done in level 1 have been great - I have a number of them framed on the walls now. I have AP and like it for the art appreciation, but it really never gets done.