Menu

When your kid doesn’t like the way their creative writing sounds…

Ausmumof3

Does anyone have any suggestions for handling this? DD enjoys the process of writing but it’s hard to help her edit because as soon as she reads back she hates it and says it doesn’t sound right. I’ve been way too hands off lately because I’m scared of pushing the point, but really need to figure out how to deal with it.

Objectively, there’s nothing wrong with it. What she’s writing sounds pretty good, good vocab and good descriptions. Mechanics are a bit of an issue.

Oldest was similar but he was very happy to do mostly non-fiction writing. I’m okay with that because unless you’re planning to be an author, I think being able to write coherently about a range of technical subjects is more useful.  DD does not enjoy non-fiction writing much. We have done a whole level of WWS and it was torture but she’s through it and I’m happy enough with where she’s at. So I need her to keep doing something and we’ve been using The Creative Writer but we have this hiccough.

It’s basically perfectionism I think. I need to know how to help her see the good in her own work and gently guide her to making it better.