Menu

Does CM narration work for teaching formal composition?

lilamom

Hello!

I just posted another thread asking about composition/writing goals for 4th grade which was super helpful (thanks to all who chimed in!). I have a related question, but it is distinct enough I wanted to separate it out as its own topic.

Question: Does CM narration work for teaching formal composition?

I think that the ability to recall/retell what you've heard or read is immensely helpful.  I think narration can be great for that!

What I'm wondering is whether doing just oral and written narrations through elementary school gives students the practice they need for formal writing. I am a big believer in reading as the best way to shape a writers' "ear." However, it's seeming to me that some basic practice in applying grammar structure (e.g. proper sentences, paragraphs, etc.) is necessary, at least for students who may go to traditional school for middle/high school and have college aspirations (that's where we are at at the moment with our fourth grader).

If you've used narration extensively as a composition teaching tool, or seen it used as such, would you mind sharing your experiences?

Thanks so much!

It definitely can work. A book that is really helpful for doing this is Karen Glass's Know and Tell. It outlines the whole process, including steps you can follow, but it focuses on formal writing more in the high school years.

I have sort of done this. I don't use formal curriculum much, and I mix the approach of SWB, CM and Karen Glass (so you know where I'm coming from). We do oral narration until about Grade 4 and then written narration from then on. I make sure I use an English program that includes some writing instruction, like paragraphs and that kind of thing. Once they learn paragraphs, I require their narrations to be in paragraphs.

I also teach outlining in middle school at some point, and then my kids do narration and outlines together. In about Grade 7, they start rewriting their outlines back into compositions. Also, as they approach high school, I encourage them to write longer narrations so that by the end of Grade 8, they are writing 3-4 paragraphs. That makes it easy to teach essays because they really only need to learn how to add an introduction and conclusion.

The other thing I do as they get older is have them focus their narrations. Retelling is a good skill, and so is summarizing, but in middle school, especially when they learn to outline, we begin to focus their writing. Examples: what were the causes of World War I? What are 3 things you love about summer? How does the digestive system work? What are the different types of conflict in a particular book?

Once they have learned to write essays, I continue having them write narrations (more like summaries) of what they read in school. I usually alternate between writing summaries one week, and writing an essay the next.

ETA: My writing progression is not as accelerated as others, just FYI.

Edited by hollyhock2
  • Like 3

I don't use narration for writing.  I do use copywork until about 3rd grade (depends on the student).  I use copywork for grammar and writing instruction. I expect my kids to start middle school having mastered basic writing skills.  Middle school is for mastering more complexity in basic writing.

FWIW, if you are at all interested in how I make it work, I wrote about it here ages ago. It is the link post and continues in the very next one below it.  (To give an idea of how long ago that post was written, the 2nd grader mentioned is now 23 🙂 )  FWIW, it is the method I have used with all of my kids.

• Like 2

This is encouraging:  https://www.instagram.com/p/CHvL_ryn37R/

Someone on the Ambleside Forums shared her chosen assignments to go along with an AO-assigned book called "Writer's Inc". That might be helpful if you do want something somewhat structured but without going with something as (strict? Exact? Rigorous?) as Classical Writing.