Menu

Chalkdust PreAlgebra vs WHA vs MPOA classes?

Brill786

I am thinking about signing up my daughter for Pre Algebra and beyond Math classes. I would like to ask the parents whose children have gone through Wilson Hill Academy , Memoria Press Academy and Chalkdust Video course. Which Math teacher is strongly recommended? She is not a strong Math Student but a struggling student and keep forgetting the concepts and steps. She has some learning gaps to fill too. Are WHA and MPOA Math live classes tests and quizzes self graded? Are there office hours available for struggling learners? How many hours of homework are assigned per week? For the homework or assignment part do parent has to check the homework answers and then scan and submit them to the teacher? Do the classes cover all the problems of the homework and tests?

I would love some feedback on all these options for the upcoming year.

My Dd has done four math classes at WHA, PreA, Alg I and II, and PreCal. We have been very pleased, but the pace is fast and I would not recommend their classes for a struggling or weak math student. Classes are live, quizzes are in-class, tests and exams proctored by parents at home. Time spent on hw can vary and my student, while strong in math, is not fast. 6-9 hrs/wk, avg. Parents check all HW. No, they do not go over all hw or test problems - that would leave no time to teach new material. Difficult problems, yes, usually. Sometimes on a discussion board or extra video rather than in class. Teachers are somewhat available for extra help. The teacher my Dd had for PreA now teaches AP Physics there. 

For a student who needs more help, consider myhomeschoolmathclass.com (taught by a boardie) or Mr.D. 

There are likely other good choices too. I cannot speak to your other options, as we have not used them. Make sure her arithmetic is rock solid, esp fractions and decimals, before forging ahead. 

Edited by ScoutTN