Menu

Taking 2 years for Apologia General Science?

Ema

I thought I had recently read in an old thread about some people taking two years to go through Apologia’s Exploring Creation with General Science. Now I cannot find that thread. Did I imagine it? Are there people out there who have taken two years to get through this curriculum? What are your thoughts on doing it over the course of two years? Would it work? Or would it get too long and drawn out? Seriously considering it for next year, but we would be doubling the time we spend on science for the week. DD likes science and is asking to do that curriculum, but I would have to figure out how to get that into our schedule. Do the lessons really take 45 minutes—1hr a day, or does that time shorten after the child gets used to the flow of the lessons? Any other things to consider, either small and petty or big and important? Young earth vs old earth doesn’t bother me, so that isn’t an issue. Thanks!

I personally would not spend 2 yrs on an Apologia text, and the General text when I owned it yrs ago was drier than dust.  There are far more interesting ways of covering science below the high school level.  Kids really do not need any "general science" course.  They can simply study science topics in breadth or depth until high school level and then jump right into a high school text.  Math is going to be the biggest determiner in a high school science course.  All start at an introductory level.

I personally wouldn't take two years. I think my kids would get really sick of it. But what you can do, and what we do, is make the program serve you. Cut out some of the experiments, cut out the study guides and tests if you don't think they're necessary. My 13yo is doing General right now (an old version) and he basically reads and answers the questions, then sometimes he writes summaries about the material. He really dislikes experiments, so he hasn't done many so far. It's very bare bones. At this age, I don't feel like doing the whole course as written is super necessary. There's plenty of time for them yet to figure out how to study and write tests and all that stuff. So if your daughter wants to do the course, let her try and make it work for her. The readings and questions don't take an hour to do.