Menu

Well Trained Mind vs Tapestry of Grace

Jasda

Hi all! You ladies give such helpful advice! I was wondering your thoughts about using WTM or TOG with my ds. He isn't a lover of reading, but will do it if asked. I don't want to overload him with too high a level of books that he'll get frustrated with. He is now in middle school, but I am looking at this level and the high school level. I have researched both, but since I haven't actually used either it's hard to choose. I don't mind planning, finding books, etc. Are there stumbling blocks that I'm not aware of with using WTM? I see that TOG is all planned out, but it looks so complicated, especially the R level. I'm not sure I even understood the discussion part from the Cevantes sample. I understand the WTM layout, but am not sure if there is enough assistance with discussion time, evaluation, teacher guidance, etc. I'm not even sure what other questions to ask, but at least this is a start. Thanks in advance for your help as I make this decision. Jasda

We started in 5th grade w/ancients using SOTW and KF. We didn't get to all the WTM Literature, because we only hs'ed for the last half of that year. We pulled ds out of ps because he was so far behind in Language Arts and Math than where I thought he should be, and he is a *very* average kid. Still, he didn't struggle with the literature that we did that year.

In 6th grade, however, I had a hard time finding abridged versions of the books recommended by WTM - though Robert Nye's Beowulf is still one of his favorite books ever. We ended up finishing that year with SunLight's Core 6, and he enjoyed that. It is mostly historical fiction. (I think TOG is mostly historical fiction, too.)

This year, however, we are back to pure WTM, and haven't had any trouble with finding abridged versions of the harder books (Pilgrim's Progress, Robinson Crusoe). He has really enjoyed everything we have done this year (except he still thinks Alice in Wonderland is just "wierd" - LOL!). Oh, we are skipping Pride and Prejudice; but, even SWB says if a book seems too hard, or too "Ugh!", then just skip it. There are plenty more!

Probably, that's what I should have done in 6th grade - simply added in some not-history-related books and some more historical fiction. If the "recommended reading list" in WTM seems too overwhelming, then just do the "supplementary" books - these are more historical fiction (or get ideas from SL or TOG or even the SOTW AG). Especially if you are new to hs'ing. SWB even mentions on a tape I have that if you're just starting WTM in high school, use the logic-stage lists for literature, because they are normally considered high school material.

I don't know if that's encouraging, because it gives you some freedom to try a book, and drop it if it's not working - or discouraging, because you really want to know now, "This is what we're going to do and there's no doubt." :confused:

I do know that my ds has grown so much in just two year's time. So much more than I ever dared hope for. But, I empathize with you because as we approach 9th grade, I'm going through the "Do we stay with classical (and Homer and all that), or switch to something a bit more traditional (like Sonlight)?" bit myself. WTM has worked *so well* for him so far; but there's always this nagging doubt and fear that I will push him too hard.

FWIW, I use Well-Educated Mind for me as I'm pre-reading the book. I also use some of the Logic-stage questions she has in there when we discuss the book (not all). WEM really helps me figure out for myself the "what is the book about"; and helps me see where to go with our discussions, and still be open to my ds's ideas re: what the book is about to him. We haven't done very well with study-guides that list vocabulary and such, but ymmv!

hth,

Rhonda

If you want helps with teacher guidance, evaluation, discussion time, etc., then TOG would be the better choice. It gives you all of that, and more. If you go with Year 1 or Year 2, you get the benefit of the Redesign, which I hear is much more teacher-friendly. They have also added Dialectic discussions, which is a huge plus. I would not worry too much about the Rhetoric level, since you are not there yet, anyway. If you start w/TOG now, you will have plenty of time to get used to the program before getting into the Rhetoric level.

WTM is an excellent program for those who have the time, energy, and desire to plan out their history lessons. I did it for a time, but with my added p/t secretarial/bookkeeping job, I needed something that did the planning for me.

I would download TOG's sample weeks and use them to get a feel for the program.