Menu

Olympic Unit Study

Dianthus

I just decided today to start watching the Olympics and do a unit study. Today we watched opening ceremony, found countries on the globe as we watched, talked about China, read CHotW about history of Olympics in ancient Greece, talked about some sports. I've got a few library books on hold to pick up tomorrow on some of the sports and history. I need science resources. I couldn't find good books (something like physics of skating or skiing?) at my library but please suggest if you know any titles offhand. I'd like to avoid media resources since we are getting our screen time actually watching the games. I'd also like ideas for writing prompts. Kids both have another writing assignment to complete first but I'd like to do 1-2 Olympic themed compositions. They are doing their regular math. Geography will be related to whatever country is participating.

Tomorrow's plan so far is to get Chinese takeout! Really spontaneous but hopeful it will be fun. Kids are 12, 10 and 7.

Eta: forgot to mention. We're identifying muscle groups used in motions.

Edited by Spirea
  • Like 1

We have several of the books in this series, but this one may get added to our collection after I looked it up: The Book Of Wildly Spectacular Sports Science. I know you said no media, but if you have a kindle kids subscription it's free (and used copies are pretty cheap).

I want to say that the HomeschoolShare.com site probably still has an Olympic lapbook you can take ideas from, too.

• Like 1

Olympic-themed writing prompts:
- 3 from Sharon Watson (author of Jump In and Power in Your Hands writing programs)
- Winter Olympics Writing Prompts -- 5 prompts, mostly creative writing, elementary to young middle school age

Sports Science (only the first is directly Winter Olympic focused):
- Winter Olympics Science Experiments
- Fun Sport Science Activities
- Sports Science for Kids
- Science Buddies: Sports Science STEM Activities for Kids

Miscellaneous free resources:
- Thematic Units: Winter Olympics -- big list of lists to activities and units; a few could be turned into writing assignments
- 12 Olympics LA & Math Activities for Elementary and Middle School Students
- 15 Winning Ways to Bring the 2022 Winter Olympics to Your Classroom -- most are elementary-aged activities
- 56 Winter Olympics Lesson Plans and Activities

• Thanks 1