Menu

Sonlight science for middle school reviews

lulalu

Has anyone used Sonlight science in middle school? I am wanting to hear some reviews. A lot of the reviews I have read are about the early elementary grades, and those were disconnected feeling from what I have read. But I haven't read much about the middle school grades. We enjoy Usborne encyclopedias so I feel like it might work well for us. Can this be student led? 

We are using Bookshark Science F for my 6th grader - not sure how it compares to the Sonlight one. I know they redid them a while ago. It uses How to Be Good at Science and Engineering as the main text so far. I could see a student doing it on their own, but I read it to DD11 as she has dyslexia, so gets more out of it that way. Plus we enjoy discussing as we go. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ktgrok said:

We are using Bookshark Science F for my 6th grader - not sure how it compares to the Sonlight one. I know they redid them a while ago. It uses How to Be Good at Science and Engineering as the main text so far. I could see a student doing it on their own, but I read it to DD11 as she has dyslexia, so gets more out of it that way. Plus we enjoy discussing as we go. 

Does it feel choppy? That was a complaint I read about the early grades. Wondering if by middle school that is different. 

Just now, lulalu said:

Does it feel choppy? That was a complaint I read about the early grades. Wondering if by middle school that is different. 

They revamped it recently, I think, to be less choppy? We are working through that book systematically, not choppy at all. we did stop and read in another book at one point, but the topics aligned. 

• Like 1