Menu

question about Music History & Appreciation

Looking ahead to next year, DS12 is very interested in taking Music History & Appreciation though the WTMA. (He's currently taking a different course there and is familiar/comfortable with the platform.) It's a one-semester course, and I was wondering if anyone knows of similar course that would be focused on NON-western music traditions? Or, alternately, if there are any other online/video music history courses that would include both western & non-western traditions that a musically-inclined, advanced 8th grader could handle?

20 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

Looking ahead to next year, DS12 is very interested in taking Music History & Appreciation though the WTMA. (He's currently taking a different course there and is familiar/comfortable with the platform.) It's a one-semester course, and I was wondering if anyone knows of similar course that would be focused on NON-western music traditions? Or, alternately, if there are any other online/video music history courses that would include both western & non-western traditions that a musically-inclined, advanced 8th grader could handle?

This is a question that I have looked into in the past.  I have not found any school-aged program that adequately addresses non-western music.  There's a reason for this:  Non-Western music is different from Western music on very, very fundamental levels in the organization of melody, harmony, and rhythm.  It would be hard to do it justice in the same course.  

What I've tried to do has been to expose my kids a little bit on my own, just with YouTube videos and the like.  (One important caution to be on the lookout for: Much pop music coming from non-Western areas of the world is really based on the framework of Western music, just stretched a little bit to sound "local".) But even for me as an adult with a keen interest in the physics of music, since I've been steeped in triadic harmony and simple rhythmic meters all my life, it's hard to wrap my mind around the organization of non-Western music.  

Good luck!

• Like 1