Menu

Help from Saxon math users

My daughter is trying to solve this problem:

Draw a picture to illustrate this fraction story. If 1/3 of the thirty students earned A's on the test, how many students earned A's? What % of students earned A's?

We are using the 2nd Ed. Saxon 6/5 and this is Ln 59. According to the ln, she was taught how to do this problem in ln 50. However, they have not shown her how to make a % out of the answer. She did the rest of the problem correctly, and I know the correct answer and even how to get to it. I just don't know how Saxon wants me to get to it. KWIM? She has learned % a little when it comes to shapes, but I don't see any transition to this. HELP.

I vaguely remember this when my son did these; there were rectangles that were divided and shaded to reflect the correct fraction, no?

I remember having J do the 10/30, but I thought he had to cross multiply to get the answer.

10/30=X/100

cross multiply: 30X=1000

divide both sides by 30

X=33.3%

Come to think of it, I don't know if that's the way Saxon wanted it or the way I wanted it....:001_smile:

Well, 1/3 is a fraction. And it's like thinking 1/3 of 1 (whole) which is really 1/3 x 1 (everytime you see "of" it means multiply) which still leaves you with 1/3.

1/3 as a percent is really like thinking 1/3 of 100 (because percent means per hundred) which is really 1/3 x 100 which ends up being 100/3, which when divided becomes roughly 33%.

Of course, you can visually show how this is true by using 1/10 fraction pie pieces and calling each of them 10 (b/c 1/10 of 100 - 10). This should drive the point home.