Menu

It's not surprising that kids are stressed.

mom2scouts

DD got invited to a teen girl's birthday celebration. We've all had Covid now and it already went through the group where DD met this girl, so we weren't too concerned and decided to let DD attend.

The girl was going to have the celebration at a small local restaurant after the place she originally wanted to go didn't work out. The girl kept texting the group constantly reminding them of the day, the time, the plan and, as someone with anxiety, it seemed to me like she was very worried that everyone would forget or not show up. I believe the girl is new to the community within the last couple of years, so Covid may have affected her ability to make social connections. Less than an hour before the party, I was scrolling through Facebook and saw a post from the restaurant saying they weren't going to be able to open the dining room that day. I asked DD to text her and ask about changes, but the girl texted back that they had reservations and it should be OK.  A little while later, she sent another text saying the restaurant was not opening that day and they were looking for another place.  They did find another local place and a small party happened, but it's already tough being a teen wondering if your new friends will come for your birthday and I felt bad for her. Why does Covid have to make every simple little thing so difficult?

• Sad 16