Menu

Coconut oil for baking cookies?

Yes you can use coconut oil. My ds is allergic to milk (therefore butter too) so we use coconut oil or palm oil or both instead. You could also use lard but not for the taste.

Butter has more water in it so you need a little less oil and a little more liquid if that is what you are substituting. I remember seeing something on Alton Brown about the ratio difference.

Can I use coconut oil to bake cookies?

Yes! Whenever I have it on hand (which isn't always, given the price!), I include coconut oil in my baked goods. Because it's expensive (and because we eat a ton of baked goods;)), I don't use just coconut oil, though. Sometimes I use it alongside butter, other times olive oil. I don't use exact measurements when I cook or bake, so I can't tell you a precise ration and I haven't found it's necessary anyway. Just keep in mind that you don't need as much coconut oil as you would, say, butter. So if you'd typically use 1 cup of butter, for example, use a 1/2 cup of coconut oil. Add a little water in there, too, for increased liquidity.

Answer me and I'll give you a cookie.... :tongue_smilie:

It's a deal. Are you gonna fly into Vancouver or Seattle?:D

I have used coconut oil for the last couple years, and use about 3/4 coconut oil for called for butter.

I will switch it up, and do some coconut, some other oil, or some applesauce as well, depending on what I have on hand, and what I am making.

Applesauce in cookies makes a softer cookie. Sometimes I add a bit of baking powder to the cookie dough, or up the called for amount, to prevent flat cookies.

I have used coconut oil for the last couple years, and use about 3/4 coconut oil for called for butter.

I will switch it up, and do some coconut, some other oil, or some applesauce as well, depending on what I have on hand, and what I am making.

Applesauce in cookies makes a softer cookie. Sometimes I add a bit of baking powder to the cookie dough, or up the called for amount, to prevent flat cookies.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just went back to using all butter. (bad, bad mommy. LOL)