Menu

may be switching to TOG soon....

jojomojo

I have a question about where to place my dd(10) in TOG. She has always read a few grade levels higher, but she's pretty average everywhere else (maybe slightly above in some areas).

Is there something on the site that helps with placing? It would be good to know what students are expected to know going into the D level. I guess what I'm wondering is would it be easier to ramp up UG if needed, or slow things down in D? I only plan on buying resources for the first unit to see how it goes.

Edited by jojomojo

Well, I had my 10yo do dialectic and the reading was NO problem whatsover. However, he couldn't handle some of the history questions. His older brother was doing dialectic, so it was easier to keep them together. This year he is 11 and doing solid dialectic work. That said, we generally read almost all of the grammar and dialectic reading for literature. At the dialectic level they allow 2 to 3 weeks for several books that took my kids just a few days to read. That said, the worksheets for some of them were pretty hard so often they spent several days just doing the worksheets.

Christine

That sounds like my dd. I don't think any book has ever taken her 2 to 3 weeks :tongue_smilie:I'm not sure she could stretch a book out that long if she tried lol

I'm not sure sure what to get. I'm thinking maybe I'll try D for unit 1. It's easier to know if something is too much rather than not challenging enough.

My 11yo is an excellent reader but he would be overwhelmed to have to read at the pace TOG expects some of the D level books to be read. Being a good reader does not always equate with being a fast reader who can read quickly WITH understanding.

I pick and choose his lit. Sometimes he does D level, sometimes UG. The UG is extremely easy for him to read, but oftentimes the history reading required for the week in D level is a lot and a nice easy lit book is a wonderful break. Remember that D level is for a variety of ages and if your dd is at the bottom of the age spectrum she WILL struggle in some area. Whether in the reading pace, or the questions. Be prepared for that. ;)

Next year, 7th grade, my son will be solid D level in all areas. It will make purchasing books a whole lot easier. :D

At the dialectic level they allow 2 to 3 weeks for several books that took my kids just a few days to read. Christine

Wow, Christine! I can't imagine my son reading a 250 page book in a few days. You must have some amazing readers in your home. ;) The 250 pg. book I am thinking of had to be read in a week. My son read it, but we had to stretch it out to two weeks. He could have read it if I made him read on the weekend...but I cannot bring myself to do that. I'm a softie. :lol:

I have a question about where to place my dd(10) in TOG. She has always read a few grade levels higher, but she's pretty average everywhere else (maybe slightly above in some areas).

Is there something on the site that helps with placing? It would be good to know what students are expected to know going into the D level. I guess what I'm wondering is would it be easier to ramp up UG if needed, or slow things down in D? I only plan on buying resources for the first unit to see how it goes.

I have my 10yo/5th grader doing UG level as well. Next year I plan to have her do some of the D level Lit and Lit worksheets, but I don't think I will move her up to D history till 7th.

Heather

My 11yo 6th grader is using the UG level; the reading is quite easy for her. (And I am so thankful that it is! She struggled for a while with reading issues until we discovered she had eye problems.)

She could move to D after Christmas and spend the remainder of the year struggling to get up to speed at that level (it is a big jump!), but I'm in no rush and neither is she. She'll have two full years (7th and 8th grades) at the D level, so we are content with her really enjoying her history and literature studies this year.

Wow, Christine! I can't imagine my son reading a 250 page book in a few days. You must have some amazing readers in your home. ;) The 250 pg. book I am thinking of had to be read in a week. My son read it, but we had to stretch it out to two weeks. He could have read it if I made him read on the weekend...but I cannot bring myself to do that. I'm a softie. :lol:

Well, if he likes a book, then he is like me...once he starts he doesn't want to stop until it is finished. Now a couple of the books this year he has hated like Men of Iron. I had to sit on him to finish it. He hated the style of language in it. He read the Second Mrs. Giconda in 2 days. Now don't ask how long it takes him to finish his math:glare:. He has a book in his hand 24/7. I read really quickly as well. It probably comes from having history and English as my teaching fields. I remember one semester at Baylor I had a Shakespeare class where we studied a different play every week. I had another upper level English class where I had to read 5 novels, an American president history class with 4 biographies and another history class with 4 or 5 novels. Finally, I had some boring education class with a dry textbook. My roommates said I never studied. I just read. I had to read quickly or I would never have survived. My mother-in-law gave me a Mittford book one time and I sat on the couch and read it in about 45 minutes. My middle son is just like me.

Christine

Will you be using Year 1?

I also have a child similar to yours. He is 11 but reads extremely well. We started TOG Y1 in August and have greatly enjoyed it. I did buy materials for both UG and D because I wasn't sure where to put him. So far, I have kept him mainly in UG with some D. I plan to switch that in the next semester - mostly D with some UG.

Do you have a good library system? Be sure to check the resources there first. I found that our library has many of the literature and history resources.

I do strongly recommend the Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of the Ancient World. There have been several weeks my son has read both that and the D level history book and said that that one was better and even more informative.

For the literature, I agree that some of the worksheets are difficult. There have been some weeks that my son has read both UG and D literature. However, I don't think I have ever given him worksheets on both. If you stick with the program, they will have another chance to cover the material. Some of the worksheets will be more valuable on the second read. The important thing to remember is that you are the teacher. You only need to assign what you feel ought to be done.

I'd be happy to discuss this with you and give you other specific recommendations if you would like. Feel free to email me.

God bless you in this transition and in your schooling!

Edited by wydors

Will you be using Year 1?

For the literature, I agree that some of the worksheets are difficult. There have been some weeks that my son has read both UG and D literature. However, I don't think I have ever given him worksheets on both. !

I agree with this. Although my children read dialectic, many upper grammar and sometimes the alternate lit, they do NOT do worksheets on all ofthat. I look to see which ones are the most useful/which skills they need. I still want them to enjoy what they read. So many times on the extra stuff they just read it and I ask questions: Did you like it? Why? What was the best part. Yes I liked that as well. I didn't like that either, etc.

I agree that if you can swing it, having two levels on hand is great. Sometimes my strong reader just wanted more... It was a joy to hand him a higher level book (that I had pre-read) and watch him dig deeper into a subject. I usually read the first chapter to him, and then he sits down and reads the rest.

Blessings to you,

Charity

My son is a voracious reader as well. Books that are assigned over a period of weeks he usually finishes the first day. I assign the UG work. We frequently borrow D level literature books from the library for him to explore on his own time. The UG books may be a bit easy for him but the worksheets are more than challenging.

If you can have both on hand that is probably ideal.