Menu

Anyone have geothermal heating?

JustEm

We’ve had geothermal for about 18 years and are happy with it. It is expensive to install, but we did the excavating work ourselves (were in the construction business at the time). It keeps our house at about 65 degrees, and we have an LP furnace that kicks in if we want the house warmer than that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Selkie said:

We’ve had geothermal for about 18 years and are happy with it. It is expensive to install, but we did the excavating work ourselves (were in the construction business at the time). It keeps our house at about 65 degrees, and we have an LP furnace that kicks in if we want the house warmer than that.

do you remember the cost.  I know it depends drastically on so many factors but when I read about the huge price differences I just wonder what most people pay so i ask everyone.

19 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

do you remember the cost.  I know it depends drastically on so many factors but when I read about the huge price differences I just wonder what most people pay so i ask everyone.

Sorry, it's been so long that I can't remember. I know it was pricey, even with us doing the drilling and excavating ourselves. 

One thing I would recommend is to make sure there is someone who repairs geothermal systems in your area. When ours was installed, there was a company nearby, but they have since gone out of business. Now on the rare occasion when we need a repair, we have to get someone from an hour away whose schedule is perpetually booked, so there is always a bit of a wait.

• Thanks 1

We don't have it here for a variety of reasons so have an exterior wood boiler with a back up propane boiler for our radiant floor heating.

But we have had it in a different house.

The up front cost is very expensive, however, over the life of the heating system, it is the most economical and of course is super environmentally friendly. We have friends that have it, and their average heat bill is literally the electricity to run the pump. It has never cost them more than $70 a month to heat their house to 68 degrees in the dead of Michigan weather with subzero temps. They do have a very, very well insulated home, and that is the first place to begin when considering heating a building, with windows next, and weather stripping the doors. Nothing compensates well for drafts and heat leak. They also save money on home owner's insurance because the fire hazard is reduced.

Closed loop systems are preferred. They are more expensive, but end up requiring less maintenance. Open loop have a lower up front cost. But in general, we are talking something like $10,000 and a forced air natural gas furnace would be maybe $3500. Is just that not only is geothermal better for the environment, 20 years later you have paid $200-400 a month for years on end to heat your home which you have not paid with the geothermal, and saved a lot of fossil fuel. But much also depends on size of home, local climate, etc. I would think that any geothermal contractor would be willing to write a free estimate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1