Menu

I still have not made a decision about after SM 6B, prealgebra

Janeway

Son has understood the material in Singapore Math US Edition 6B very quickly and easily. But I know from working with him all these years, while he seems quick to comprehend, he can also forget things he has not done lately.  Sometimes, I think we should just move on to Dimensions Math 7A, as he has loved Singapore Math. But he does admit to me that his main attraction to Singapore Math is that he can use a workbook that he can write directly in and if he canot do it with Dimensions, then he does not care if he uses Dimensions. It does not matter to him. 

Other times, I think we should do a pre-algebra and I consider Math Mammoth. It is a workbook which is what he has requested. But when I think about paying for that to print it myself, I think maybe I should just do MEP, if I am printing myself anyway. 

Then I think I should just maybe do Keys to Algebra, as I already own it, but I worry it is not as comprehensive as MM. But with other kids, I did use keys to and then went in to algebra. 

Lastly, I have also considered looking at other pre-algebra programs. 

He will be done with 6B in the next couple weeks. Also, we have not done the reviews from the textbook of 6B but we are planning to finish 100% of the workbook. 

An alternative to Dimensions is this new Bulgarian Math program:   https://archi-math.com/bookstore-2/

It is workbook based but for higher levels. Some of the reviews in the longer, textbook front matter mention singapore math for elementary, but then not  having a great American curriculum for middle through high school. (Includes mention of AOPS.) Seems it’s affiliated with the professor who promoted math circles in the US, but it’s really geared towards any student with problem set differentiation, etc.

I really hope homeschoolers start checking it out, because I’m interested in using it post singapore math! The more integrated geometry and format are very appealing to me.

As someone who used both Math Mammoth and Keys to Algebra, I recommend that you just use Keys to Algebra.

In 6th/7th grade, the book(s) you use don't need to be the most comprehensive treatment of Algebra that he'll ever receive, it just needs to help him understand and learn to use the core ideas and skills of Algebra. It's October. Let him work through the Keys of Algebra. You already own it.

The books go fast too.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 1:27 AM, Foofaraw said:

An alternative to Dimensions is this new Bulgarian Math program:   https://archi-math.com/bookstore-2/

It is workbook based but for higher levels. Some of the reviews in the longer, textbook front matter mention singapore math for elementary, but then not  having a great American curriculum for middle through high school. (Includes mention of AOPS.) Seems it’s affiliated with the professor who promoted math circles in the US, but it’s really geared towards any student with problem set differentiation, etc.

I really hope homeschoolers start checking it out, because I’m interested in using it post singapore math! The more integrated geometry and format are very appealing to me.

Is there a placement exam?

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2021 at 1:27 AM, Foofaraw said:

Hi there, can you tell me more about this Archi-Math Bulgarian Math program?  If a child is currently using a grade 6 traditional math curriculum, would he go into 6A or 7A of this program?  After levels 6-9 are completed, what is next?  And if it doesn't work out mid-program, what would one do, since it is integrated?  I know this approach has been controversial among public school parents.  Thanks for any insight! 

• Like 1