Menu

Math for a kid who has loved AoPS but needs to change

Long time lurker crawling out to ask:

What Algebra 2 would you suggest for my daughter?

She has been working through and loving the AoPS textbooks, but is realizing that she would rather spend her time on music.  However, she doesn't want to be bored in math. If you were to suggest a great, honors level algebra 2 curriculum, what would it be? Video instruction+textbook+ worked solutions would be her preference. One step down from AoPS.

Thank you!

On 8/16/2021 at 4:07 PM, EKS said:

How about Foerster using the Math Without Borders lectures?

Another option would be Derek Owens.

On 8/16/2021 at 7:15 PM, calbear said:

ditto on those suggestions ^

On 8/17/2021 at 1:20 PM, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

If she’s already completed AOPS Intro to Algebra she could give Well Trained Mind Academy’s AOPS PreCal a try. It’s still AOPS, but at a slower pace (32wks vs 22wks) with smaller classes (<15 students) & more teacher guidance / group work. 

Thanks, all!  I really appreciate it. Your suggestions gave me direction. 🙂

Another source for AOPS is Royal Fireworks Press. I know nothing about that teacher. Though I do know that his Algebra class covers the Intro Book, Algebra 2 appears to cover Intermediate Algebra book as it is the only text listed for that class.

My son is doing AOPS Geometry at WTMA this year. We self studied with AOPS so far. They do Alg 1, Alg 2 and then Geometry before Pre-Calc. The Algebra 2 syllabus in on the website and you can see what chapters of the Intermediate Algebra book you are expected to have covered. 

Edited by calbear
  • Like 2