Menu

Geometry - changing curriculum mid-year

Our family has used Abeka DVD's since kindergarten. My daughter is taking Geometry this year.  Since we are missionaries, we will be taking a furlough in January, thus she will complete first semester Geometry with Abeka and second semester will be Bob Jones(this is what our home church uses in their school).  Does anyone have any insight as to how difficult this will be? Thanks

• Cambodia Missions changed the title to Geometry - changing curriculum mid-year

Chapters will be mastery and not carry over too much, so the transition shouldn't be a problem. Has she been doing proofs with Abeka? The BJU will require them.

Really, it's going to be the teacher and how they use it. They could make it as hard or smoothed out as they want it to be. It's a very traditional geometry with proofs, yes. She'll probably be FINE. I would not sweat it.

Fwiw, any chance you could just start her with the BJU geometry and be done with it? 

Perhaps look at the table of contents for each program -- do the Abeka topics in the same order as the BJU text, so that when back with the home church for 2nd semester, the student will be in-sync with the Bob Jones. 

- Abeka Plane Geometry - (click on "look inside" and then click table of contents)
- Bob Jones Geometry 4th ed. - (click on "look inside" and then click  table of contents)

Another option -- set aside Abeka for Math this year, purchase the Bob Jones Geometry DVD + text option and use it all year -- 1st semester while in the field, 2nd semester back at the home church.

34 minutes ago, Cambodia Missions said:

we don't think we can swing the extra money

When I was looking at ed 2 vs. 3 of the BJU the changes were mainly cosmetic. Might have been rewritten with the 4th edition or might be basically the same. Looks pretty similar to me, just more colorful. 

Looking at the samples, it looks like Abeka does not do set theory. The world will not end and I don't recall it being carried over very long. If the teacher at the cs is going to have them do proofs when you get there 2nd semester, then make sure your student is doing any proofs the book suggests 1st semester. That way they'll be prepared and skillful at it. 

Fwiw, rather than worrying about getting the BJU to match (or feeling bad that you can't), instead just make tracks with the Abeka, kwim? It looks like it's fine, and I think the more you get done in that, the more comfortable the transition will be. I changed schools and french classes middle of my freshman year and that was a fiasco! We went from a school district with no text to one that had one and was very on the ball and advanced! So then I had a lot of make up to do in a subject that is cumulative. But you're going from one good geometry text to another. Just make sure she does the proofs and make tracks getting through as much as you can (working very consistently) and she should be fine.

Edited by PeterPan

On 8/8/2021 at 9:52 AM, Cambodia Missions said:

Thank you for the advice.  I know it would make more sense to start with BJU, but with Covid hitting our country, it's been a difficult year and we don't think we can swing the extra money as we already have the Abeka books and DVD's.  

Maybe your church/school could send you the BJU materials to start the year with?