Menu

Saxon 2nd edition vs 3rd edition

What is the difference between 2nd and 3rd editions of Saxon?

I know the publisher changed, is the 3rd edition common core? I heard the homeschool editions have not been common core aligned but I am not sure.

I also heard the 3rd editions are confusing for some people to follow versus the older editions. 

I think I would like to use the second edition if I choose to continue with Saxon. What are all the different items needed? I seem to be able to find quite a few of the textbooks on ebay and amazon but not sure what else is needed. 

I am deciding between CLE or Saxon. I have Rod and Staff picked out on the side in case either of my children may need a mastery program but I think spiral currently is what they will do good with. 

I have used Saxon K and Saxon 1 but not sure about continuing with Saxon, and think I will move to CLE and do CLE 1st grade over and accelerate the pace and continue with CLE through Algebra 1 (if my kids do well with it, I know things can change). 

I do not like the idea of sticking with a program and then not being able to find the older editions when they are needed. 

I like the idea that CLE will be easy to purchase too and I have read good reviews and bought a light unit and my daughter seemed to like it too.

I do NOT want to jump around in math at all. That is why I am glad I tried a few programs in K and 1st to see what would work for us before getting too far into any other grades. 

22 hours ago, scarlethand said:

I also heard the 3rd editions are confusing for some people to follow versus the older editions. 

I can't answer 99.999% of your question, but I can confirm that a friend found this to be the case. They had a newer edition of Saxon Algebra I. If I remember correctly, they burned it when they were done because they didn't want anyone else to use it.  LOL. So they felt really strongly about how bad it was.  YMMV, of course! ETA; Apparently it was the 4th edition. Thank you to Gil for correcting.

Edited by cintinative

Thanks for your reply! 

Yes that is what I am afraid of and thank you for confirming. That is what I thought I had read before. I honestly have no idea what made me originally pick Saxon as my homeschool math choice (started homeschooling 2 years ago with my kinder and maybe that it was the most popular choice made me choose it) but I do not think I want to stick with something that has all these different editions and changes and that was bought out by a major publisher. 

Thanks again for replying!

Incorrect, the 4th edition of Saxon math is "a mess". They've expanded the texts by hundreds of pages, removed Geometry (split it into it's own seperate text) and made a mess of things.

The 3rd edition of Saxon is mostly identical to the 2nd edition, and it's fine. Absolutely an "open and go" sort of textbook that explains the material to the students.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Gil2.0 said:

Incorrect, the 4th edition of Saxon math is "a mess". They've expanded the texts by hundreds of pages, removed Geometry (split it into it's own seperate text) and made a mess of things.

The 3rd edition of Saxon is mostly identical to the 2nd edition, and it's fine. Absolutely an "open and go" sort of textbook that explains the material to the students.

Thanks for your reply and clarification. I did not even realize there was a 4th edition. Are the 4th editions only available for the higher level maths?

This helps confirm that I probably will not want to continue with Saxon. By the time I get up to higher level math it will probably continue to be harder to find and a pain to use. 

I would have no desire to use the 4th edition if it is confusing to use.