Menu

Excelsior Spanish?

I don't know anything about this provider or teacher, but this is a bump for you.

Now for some unsolicited input. I did look at this provider at one point for this class.

One thing I worry about with foreign language that only meets once per week is how the other days are handled.  We had a teacher cover Avancemos once a week at co-op years ago, but she had all sorts of recordings and things set up for them on off-class days. IMO, if you only meet once a week, you want that time to be spent practicing speaking and not so much on the grammar. So that would have to be built in, or that means the student is self-teaching the grammar from the textbook. 

This past year Houghton-Mifflin shut down their "Classzone" website where you could access videos and audio for free. Now you have to have a subscription to access it. I am not seeing that mentioned on the Excelsior class, so I wonder how they are handling that. It would be tough to use the textbook without those. It's worth asking.

I would want to know how much grading you will have to do as well. I noticed they use the workbook. Will they give you a key? What about the questions that are open ended? Will the teacher grade those? 

All that said, I like Avancemos. We did it at home last year, and I intend to continue this year with Avancemos 2.  

Kolbe Academy also teaches using Avancemos if you really want this curriculum  https://legacy.kolbe.org/courses/online/courses/high-school/online-foreign-language-courses/wcf-09span1/  The tuition link is broken, but I think it is at least a couple hundred dollars more than the Excelsior class, but it does meet twice a week.  They are a Catholic provider.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your input! Those are good points for me to look into. I’m really just now researching Spanish, so I’m definitely not sold on this provider or curriculum. It’s the one class that seems SO difficult to do properly at home, even if I outsource! My ds isn’t super interested, but I’m trying to fill the “two foreign language” credits that seem to need filling. He’s going to be in 11th grade, so I’m now feeling the time crunch on this one. 

• Like 1

A lot of people on here seem to recommend Homeschool Spanish Academy.  You have to set up meetings/classes with a "tutor" type thing.  

If you are okay with a faith-based provider, you could also look at The Potter's School. I think theirs is $650/year and meets twice a week.

You might want to also ask about the CLRC Spanish class.  It is $660/year and meets twice a week.

https://www.clrconline.com/high-school-spanish-i/

There is a foreign language thread on the high school board but it may not have been recently updated.

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/659347-foreign-language-online-classes/

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1