Menu

Math for the remainder of the year 5/6 grade

Janeway

Son has finished Singapore Math 5B. He also did BJU math 5. I like to use different programs for review so that he gets different styles and approaches. Our main program is Singapore Math.  I am trying to decide if we should move on to Singapore Math 6A now, or, if I should pick something and just spend the remainder of the year reviewing. I can see Math Mammoth has review books for a grade.  Horizon's Math sells by the semester so a one semester book might work well for review. I could just do various books from Keys to. (don't worry, I would look over scope and sequence for the various books to know which one would be best for review). Or, I could just move on to SM 6A. 

How many weeks do you have left in the school year?  8? 10? 13?   The amount of time left and the math-iness of the child would frame my answer...

For example, we have 8 weeks left in our school calendar, so for my math-is-just-to-be-endured child, I would more inclined to turn them loose on Khan Academy or use the Key to books or do a Spectrum word problems book or an Evan Moor daily word problems book or Pizzazz workbook or...  _____.   I would also slather on the praise since they finished their book early, and now *they get to choose* something to have fun with.  Even if it looks a little "easy."

Actually, I would probably do the same with a more math-loving child.  Let them play around on Khan (my math-inclined kids greatly enjoyed Vi Hart's videos on KA), or mess around on Alcumus or see how much of the Key to ___ books they want to blast through or... ______. 

I do agree that if you have more than 10 weeks, you could get through one of the Singapore books with a math-able student.  I would let the student set the pace, and not worry about finishing a book. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zoo Keeper said:

How many weeks do you have left in the school year?  8? 10? 13?   The amount of time left and the math-iness of the child would frame my answer...

For example, we have 8 weeks left in our school calendar, so for my math-is-just-to-be-endured child, I would more inclined to turn them loose on Khan Academy or use the Key to books or do a Spectrum word problems book or an Evan Moor daily word problems book or Pizzazz workbook or...  _____.   I would also slather on the praise since they finished their book early, and now *they get to choose* something to have fun with.  Even if it looks a little "easy."

Actually, I would probably do the same with a more math-loving child.  Let them play around on Khan (my math-inclined kids greatly enjoyed Vi Hart's videos on KA), or mess around on Alcumus or see how much of the Key to ___ books they want to blast through or... ______. 

I do agree that if you have more than 10 weeks, you could get through one of the Singapore books with a math-able student.  I would let the student set the pace, and not worry about finishing a book. 

This Pizzazz book looks fun!! I might just have him do this. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Janeway said:

This Pizzazz book looks fun!! I might just have him do this. Thanks!

It's a series of books, A-E , and there's a pre A and Algebra books as well.   If you want to see the scope and sequence of topics, here's a school website that has links to all of them... ifhttps://www.kenton.k12.ky.us/olc/979/folder/42304/11562

ETA:  The link to the Algebra book was broken in my link above, so try this one instead... http://geometrylhs.weebly.com/uploads/1/3/5/3/13533473/algebra_pizzazz.pdf

Edited by Zoo Keeper