Menu

After Singapore Math 5B?

Janeway

Son will be done with Singapore math 5B next week which means he went through it in a month. He is a fast learner and particularly good at math. I already have the 6A and 6B textbooks. This is the US edition. Looking at the scope and sequence for Dimensions, it is clear he has already covered 6A in dimensions and would start with 6B. He could also do Math Mammoth, not sure if that would be on par with Singapore Math, but would be nice for him to be a little independent. Math is my favorite subject to teach so I don't NEED him to be independent. And we could just continue and finish 6A and 6B of the US edition. I am open to other suggestions too. For algebra, I have Foerster's, Jacob's, and Dolciani. I know I could do Dimensions instead of American Algebra but thought I would include what I have. Thank you.

1 minute ago, calbear said:

When you were going through SM, were you using things like Intensive Practice or Challenging Word Problems? For a kid that is good at math, the TB/WB doesn't offer enough depth and challenge IME.

I use other things to add in. We did all of BJU math this year, some beast academy, an extra book for multiplication and division, and some Keys to Fractions. We also have computer games to reinforce concepts. Math and science are his favorite subjects. We do have Challenging Word Problems 5 and have done some.

I personally skipped SM6 and did Jousting Armadillos before going on to AOPS pre-algebra. DM 6-8 would cover pre-A and algebra over the series so that's a reasonable option if he enjoys Singapore style versus a straight textbook like the ones you mentioned. I did a stint with Jacobs' MHE in between AOPS PA and algebra for my son. Were you thinking of MM7 as pre-A? Any of the texts you mentioned are pretty good choices. I don't have copies on hand for Foerster or Dolcani (borrowed them from the library to look at), but Jacobs is pretty gentle and the first 1/3 is PA topics anyways. That seems like a reasonable way to start as well. I was thinking of using it for my son, but he requested to start AOPS Algebra. We are taking our time through that because I think it has helped to let things "marinate" for him as we work through the Algebra II topics that are in that text. I found that moving quickly was counterproductive to true mastery and understanding for him.

FWIW, JA was not difficult, but it was pretty useful in getting him used to reading text and learning to organize his work clearly and logically.

Edited by calbear

26 minutes ago, calbear said:

I personally skipped SM6 and did Jousting Armadillos before going on to AOPS pre-algebra. DM 6-8 would cover pre-A and algebra over the series so that's a reasonable option if he enjoys Singapore style versus a straight textbook like the ones you mentioned. I did a stint with Jacobs' MHE in between AOPS PA and algebra for my son. Were you thinking of MM7 as pre-A? Any of the texts you mentioned are pretty good choices. I don't have copies on hand for Foerster or Dolcani (borrowed them from the library to look at), but Jacobs is pretty gentle and the first 1/3 is PA topics anyways. That seems like a reasonable way to start as well. I was thinking of using it for my son, but he requested to start AOPS Algebra. We are taking our time through that because I think it has helped to let things "marinate" for him as we work through the Algebra II topics that are in that text. I found that moving quickly was counterproductive to true mastery and understanding for him.

FWIW, JA was not difficult, but it was pretty useful in getting him used to reading text and learning to organize his work clearly and logically.

If we did MM, we would just go on to one of the algebra programs after that. If we switch to DM, we will just use it through level 8 likely. If we go ahead and finish the primary series, then we will choose between one of the algebra books or DM.