Menu

Catching silly mistakes in work

saw

Looking for some advice on helping DS (14, ADHD) to prevent/catch silly mistakes in his work, particularly in math and French. I know about the idea of creating checklists to check, but this is proving difficult to implement for a variety of reasons. Getting him to write down all the steps in math is an ongoing battle. He has meds and an EF coach involved. Does anyone have any tips or tricks that have worked? Thanks.

Oh my. What is the EF coach suggesting? Some people will do an error limit per lesson on the math, so above that and you may need more problems, below that ok. 

8 hours ago, saw said:

Getting him to write down all the steps in math is an ongoing battle.

Again, what does the EF coach suggest? My dd in that boat had poor working memory, so to hold her thoughts, do mental math, and write was just too much. You could intervene in any of those steps and get enough support to make it go better. You can do games to build working memory, scribe, use tech for the lessons so they write less, etc. I did a lot of scribing and eventually was so busy with ds I threw her to the wolves with MUS sigh. 

Some things aren't going to matter in the long run. As far as the French, how is that going? The challenges of ADHD kids doing languages are sometimes on par with kids with dyslexia. As in it might not be worth the effort. You can drop it or modify it. There's plenty of research on ADHD and language learning and the challenges and methods there. I finally gave up with my dd. If it's very important to you, clarify your goals and modify your methods.

Edited by PeterPan