Menu

Essentials in Writing for High School

We did IEW with our kids. It was a great foundation for them. For the ones that ended up taking composition classes at MPOA, I think they are ready for college level. One of mine didn't take comp and I felt like they maybe were not quite ready, but it's hard to say. I'd add a comp class if possible. We had a great experience with it, and they had a lot of fun writing.

4 hours ago, Sarah_hopes said:

We did IEW with our kids. It was a great foundation for them. For the ones that ended up taking composition classes at MPOA, I think they are ready for college level. One of mine didn't take comp and I felt like they maybe were not quite ready, but it's hard to say. I'd add a comp class if possible. We had a great experience with it, and they had a lot of fun writing.

Essentials in Writing is different than IEW. I have done IEW but looking for a change.

I had my daughter do the Essentials in Writing book last year in 11th grade.  This year, she was taking English through the community college for dual credit.  I honestly don't feel that EIW prepared her enough for it.  The CC class was pretty strict about using peer-reviewed, college level sources, as well as in-text citations,  and that was a big jump for my daughter.   For my younger kids,  I'm going to research and find something more heavy to help them be better prepared.  Just not sure what yet?