Menu

Success in Teaching Writing: A Special Education Writing Conference from IEW, tomorrow, Jan. 16, 2021

For your interest, I am passing this on, I am not affiliated with IEW. Andrew Pudewa has a dyslexic child, so his insight may be helpful.  Sorry this is so late!  

IEW conference tomorrow morning, Sat. Jan. 16, 10:00-3:30 Central Time

Success in Teaching Writing: A Special Education Writing Conference from IEW [2021] FREE Registration:  I copied this link for registration:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdsAMuT8BsMxgog9F58GvTeNUSBRsAodysHcJOKhZ64U5LGBg/viewform

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good share! https://iew.com/events-classes/events/andrews-engagements-seminars/success-teaching-writing-special-education  Here's the info about it if they want to see the schedule. Looks like a great list! And yeah, Pudewa is pretty out about the dyslexia in his family. I was watching one talk with him recently and he put it that that particular dc was the "most dyslexic" child he had ever seen. I sorta took what he was describing to be the language processing issues also caught under auditory processing disorder. So yes, he's speaking to a wide range there. 

Ok, this is a riot and SO much more fun than I anticipated! I missed the first part (hope it was recorded!) but got lured in to him teaching a group of kids. What a hoot! He's been teaching so many other things I hadn't noticed, like his philosophy on editing, his finger symptoms he uses in class, etc. 

Yes, it is being recorded. He is modelling good teaching skills for us too, so much good stuff here. I need to remember so much of this, especially how he paints pictures for kids with words before expecting them to write.  (One of the reasons I am so against expecting writing full sentences to a paragraph in kindergarten for Common Core.  They need to be encouraged to expand and use their language first through stories, songs, experiences... Model the sentences for them, but not for it to be expected by students so early...) Ok, off my soapbox.  

The 2nd part quickly described his materials. But the first part was pretty good if you can see it recorded sometime.  

I am glad Andrew demonstrated with a group of kids today.

• Like 1