Menu

Garmin - continual requests to re-pair with phone?

Laura Corin

I received a Garmin Vivoactive 3 for Christmas (Fitbit does not work with my new phone).  If I leave the room and don't take my phone with me, there's a good chance that I will have to re-pair my watch manually when I come back - the watch automatically provides a code that I have to enter into my phone. 

I spent 45 minutes on the Chat this morning to Garmin, and they took me through the many steps to reset the whole system.  It hasn't helped.  The representative said that my watch's behaviour (manual re-pairing after the watch and phone have been separated) was normal.  I've never had a Bluetooth device that didn't re-pair automatically.  They suggested that I try pairing with a different phone, so I'll do that tomorrow.  Otherwise, I'm going to have to return the watch.

Does your Garmin do this?  What model do you have and what phone?  I have an Android Galaxy A41.

Thank you.

My son has a Garmin Fenix 5 and an I-phone. He says that has never happened to him. It re-pairs automatically without any sort of code needed. He is part of a large city wide running club. Many of the them have Garmin watches and he has never heard anyone say anything like that or seen anyone need to re-pair their phone and watch (and they are always comparing splits, looking at previous times, etc on both their watches and their phones). I would assume some of them have Android phones paired to their watches.

On 1/6/2021 at 2:44 AM, Melissa B said:

My son has a Garmin Fenix 5 and an I-phone. He says that has never happened to him. It re-pairs automatically without any sort of code needed. He is part of a large city wide running club. Many of the them have Garmin watches and he has never heard anyone say anything like that or seen anyone need to re-pair their phone and watch (and they are always comparing splits, looking at previous times, etc on both their watches and their phones). I would assume some of them have Android phones paired to their watches.

Thanks. Garmin couldn't help, but an online article suggested clearing the Bluetooth cache on my phone. That did the trick.

• Like 1