Menu

Writing with Skill Questions

CrystalN

I am using WWS1 for my 9th grade daughter.  We are halfway through - started it last year, paused, and now picked it up again.  We have never done much as far as writing curriculum, just oral and written narrations since forever.  She used to do quite well narrating, but I think hormones dissolved that part of her brain. Now she just likes to write IDK (I don't know) on everything.  Hoping the step-by-step, specific, clear instructions will help her learn the skills without having to use the little grey cells.  I trust they will come back eventually.  My question is twofold 1) How do I grade her work for high school credit?  I know their are rubrics in the teacher's manual.  Do I just assign point values and use that, or make up something myself. 2) Do I continue to assign written narrations for history and literature, or is that too much?  

We did WWS 1 and 2 in the early teen years and I did use the rubric to assign point values for grades.  We took two years to complete WWS 1 and at that pace, my kids were able to keep writing summaries/narrations in other subjects.  When we completed WWS 2 in one year, I just had them focus on their assignments for writing and did not make them write across the curriculum.  The assignments in WWS already have them writing across the curriculum.  For their major writing projects at the end of the book, I had them choose a history or science topic we were currently studying in school.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...