Menu

Word Building - Middle School

Skippy

If you mean word building + affixes to increase vocabulary -- as in: "Mal" in Latin means "bad", as in evil intent, and is used to build words such as "malice", "malevolent", "malcontent", and "maltreat" -- then maybe a roots-based vocabulary program such as:

- Vocabulary From Classical Roots
- Roots and Fruits
- English From the Roots Up
- Word Roots series (Critical Thinking Co.)
- Teachers Pay Teachers worksheets

If you mean word building + affixes to assist with correct spelling and grammar usage -- as in suffixes, plurals, and other add-ons for word changes -- most resources are geared for about grades 3-5. If that is okay, then maybe something like Mary Pecci's Super Seatwork: Word Skills...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some notes from my experience. I love Lori D's list! As always, she is so insightful and helpful. (Thanks!)

So, first I would add to her second section: word building + affixes-you can get a little of that in the megawords books. This series first starts with compound words, but I found it very useful in building words including learning how to use and spell affixes.

Also, the Critical Thinking Company Word Roots series builds on the root word. What I mean, is they study a (latin) base word and then add prefixes and suffixes onto it to make into words. That didn't work well for my boys. (We prefer to study a prefix or suffix and add IT onto words.)

Another option is Dynamic Literacy, which studies one pre- or suffix at a time, and has some fun-ish workbook pages.

I also always liked what I saw of Red Hot Root Words workbooks, but since I was able to make what we had work for what I wanted, I never did try them out, but just another to add to your list to research.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1