Menu

Which Arabian Nights Tale goes best with Chapter 5 in SOTW?

Welcome! I see by your post count that you are new.

Perhaps a slight mix-up here? The Arabian Nights is literature that was written about 3000 years AFTER the first Sumerian Dictator ruled...
- Sargon was the first Sumerian Dictator, ruling approximately 2334BC – 2279BC
The Arabian Nights is a collection of Middle Eastern tales collected during the Golden Age of Islam (roughly 700AD-1300AD)

The closest piece of literature in time to Sargon would be the Epic of Gilgamesh. The oldest version of that epic is from about 200 years after Sargon.
- here is a summary of the Epic of Gilgamesh, with links to short story retellings of parts of the epic
- watch Ludmilla Zeman's picture book retelling, read on Youtube: Gilgamesh the King (book 1); Revenge of Ishtar (book 2); Last Quest of Gilgamesh (book 3)

And, here is a homeschooling blog entry of what one family did to go along with chapter 5 of SOTW.

Or, if still wanting to read the Arabian Nights, you could just enjoy the version you have, and read any/all of the tales for fun, as none are specifically linked to Sargon, the first dictator of Sumer, or reflect that ancient historical time period of the Middle East. 

BEST of luck in your homeschooling journey! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I just read Ch. 5 with my 6 year old today. One of the suggested books was Aladdin. I don't remember the other two. Read whichever stories you have that appeal to you. There just aren't that many children's books about the time period. I am going to read the section about Akkad from Ancient Isrealites and Their Neighbors sometime this week and call it good.

• Like 1