Menu

Is 2nd Grade too early to start English Grammar

AKiley

Second grade is not too early for *SOME* kids, but others are fine if you wait a year or two. 

Most of mine began gentle, mostly oral, grammar instruction at that age/grade, using First Language LessonsExposure to concepts is the goal, not any type of mastery of definitions or consistent ability to point out parts of speech.  There is plenty of time for these concepts to sink in over repeated exposure.  Grammar should not be a source of stress for student or teacher at this age.  If it is, set it aside and try again later.

One of mine was in no way ready for grammar instruction at that age/grade.  So we waited a year or two.  He's in high school now and he does know what a noun is. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For kids that are ready it's not too early, but it's not a NEED. If he's struggling with simple grammar concepts I'd just shelve it for the year. Through the year you might talk about nouns and punctuation as it comes up in his copywork so he's familiar with some of the terms by the time you pick it up again.

One of mine just couldn't wrap her head around nouns and verbs until mid-3rd or so. We started at the beginning with First Language Lessons 1/2 when she was ready and she caught up in her time. Earlier this year her commanding officer assumed her mother must have been a teacher because of her clear grammar/writing in incident reports. (She'd was at that position a whole two months before they had her training the new kids to do it.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Second grade is fine if the child is reading well.  When I say "well," I mean fluently on a fourth or fifth grade level.

If he is having trouble with grammar, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a break.  One thing you'll see with kids who aren't quite ready to begin grammar studies is a tendency to look for patterns without really understanding what's going on.  For example, they might decide that the subject is always the first word in a sentence and then have trouble when the sentences get more complex.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone! I stopped doing the worksheets and tried just the oral question-answer flow, and he did great! We are continuing the jingles too just for exposure. I plan to continue as long as it is fun for him. 

I’m really curious how Classical schools do it ... I see shurley 2 listed as part of some 2nd grade curricula lists. But the 2nd grade worksheets are a LOT!