Menu

Q. for TOG yr 2 Classic users

LisaNY

We are just finishing week 28. My dd just turned 13, and she is at the Dialectic level. One of the books we used for in-depth was "Everyday Things in American Life 1607-1776". My dd found it to be a difficult read, so I substituted it w/Tunis' "Colonial Life".

My dd gets discouraged when she encounters a difficult book. She thinks something is wrong with her. IMO, some of the books *are* difficult. "Everyday Things" is a YA or adult-level book, IMO.

Next week, the literature selection is "Benjamin Franklin, an Autobiography". I've flipped through it, and I can see my dd will be hard-pressed to complete it in a week. It's excellent literature, so I'd really, really like her to read it, but by the same token, I don't want to overwhelm and discourage her.

Has anyone switched some of their assigned readings to the UG level, or to a less-intense alternative for their Dialectic children?

I could sure use some advice from those who have been there. :rolleyes:

We are just finishing week 28. My dd just turned 13, and she is at the Dialectic level. One of the books we used for in-depth was "Everyday Things in American Life 1607-1776". My dd found it to be a difficult read, so I substituted it w/Tunis' "Colonial Life".

My dd gets discouraged when she encounters a difficult book. She thinks something is wrong with her. IMO, some of the books *are* difficult. "Everyday Things" is a YA or adult-level book, IMO.

Next week, the literature selection is "Benjamin Franklin, an Autobiography". I've flipped through it, and I can see my dd will be hard-pressed to complete it in a week. It's excellent literature, so I'd really, really like her to read it, but by the same token, I don't want to overwhelm and discourage her.

Has anyone switched some of their assigned readings to the UG level, or to a less-intense alternative for their Dialectic children?

I could sure use some advice from those who have been there. :rolleyes:

I used Classic last time through. "Benjamin Franklin, an Autobiography" should not be a dialectic level book, in fact in Redesign it is an alternate for rhetoric level reading. I'd have no problem switching it.

I can't remember what I had them read-something from the library.

As soon as I saw that book, I knew they would not like it, so I substituted.

Because I have read so much about how TOG is topic based, I didn't give it a second thought.

They get plenty of exposure to good literature, so if I skip one of TOG's recommendations, it really doesn't bother me.

On the other hand, there have been times when TOG says to choose one

and I make them read both:) because I know they will get alot out of them.

So, yes, I substitute and cross levels readily at this point.

Ds will be in the rhetoric level next year-I'll probably try to adhere to the choices more for that stage.

I did chuckle at the difference btw. your dd and my ds.

Ds would never admit a book is too difficult for him.

He would give me a dozen reasons why the book was a bad choice, but his ability to read it (or lack thereof) would not be one of them!

I used Classic last time through. "Benjamin Franklin, an Autobiography" should not be a dialectic level book, in fact in Redesign it is an alternate for rhetoric level reading. I'd have no problem switching it.

That's good to know - I think. :rolleyes: Maybe when I come across selections that I think might prove problematic for my dd, I can hop over here and ask.

Thanks for the info., Karen - and my dd thanks you, too. :)

I can't remember what I had them read-something from the library.

As soon as I saw that book, I knew they would not like it, so I substituted.

Because I have read so much about how TOG is topic based, I didn't give it a second thought.

They get plenty of exposure to good literature, so if I skip one of TOG's recommendations, it really doesn't bother me.

On the other hand, there have been times when TOG says to choose one

and I make them read both:) because I know they will get alot out of them.

So, yes, I substitute and cross levels readily at this point.

Ds will be in the rhetoric level next year-I'll probably try to adhere to the choices more for that stage.

I did chuckle at the difference btw. your dd and my ds.

Ds would never admit a book is too difficult for him.

He would give me a dozen reasons why the book was a bad choice, but his ability to read it (or lack thereof) would not be one of them!

Yes - that is one of the nice things about TOG. I was just having such a nice time letting them do the picking for me. It was a nice break after doing all my own legwork w/WTM. I guess I am going to have to be more proactive here.

Thank you for your help. :)