Menu

2nd grade art

fannbibbs

My son is beginning 2nd grade and we will be using Story of the World: Middle Ages for his history curriculum. I was thinking it might be fun to use that same time frame as we look at art. Still very much at a 2nd grade level obviously—nothing too intense. The problem is that I’m not much of an artist myself. I was wondering if anyone knew of any curriculum that might fit this period of art at an elementary level?

• Like 1

I think you're thinking along the lines of art appreciation/viewing rather than art creating, yes? For viewing, the Riverbend Press prints are really nice: https://www.riverbendpress.com/shop-artist-prints

Memoria Press has poster sets that have an assortment of images, some of which correspond to the Middle Ages.

We also checked out those large-format art books from the library for more pictures. There are lots of good options for Middle Ages/Renaissance art!

My goal for viewing art in elementary is to learn to carefully observe (this is true for the art-creating part too), and to get a feel for different artists and styles and how art movements evolved over time, so our approach is to take a good look over the course of a few weeks at a picture, and perhaps read a little about the artist. We do some attempts at copying elements of the piece, too (occasionally, and depending on the piece we're looking at). Bottom line: I don't think you need a curriculum and it doesn't need to be complicated. Get a handful of great pieces to look at, perhaps some books on the artists, and art supplies if you want to attempt to some copying.

• Thanks 1

For your needs, I would highly recommend the picture study portfolios from Simply Charlotte Mason. You choose an artist and they include some large prints and a little guidebook about the artist and works. You can choose a medieval or late medieval artist like Van Eyck or Giotto or Da Vinci. 

For good middle ages art projects, do not dismiss the SOTW2 activity guide. It really has some amazing art projects in it- making stamps with string and glue in symbols from Japan (I think? It's been a few years...)  to learn about their art and language. Stained glass projects, mosaics, calligraphy, making illuminated manuscript pages. Vol.2 has done of my favorite art projects. We paired them with reading the library books suggested and other books with real photos from the places to see the art and architecture we were learning about. Online tourist  websites would work just as well.