Menu

Books Like The Big Yellow Drawing Book?

Slache

Wasn't Mark Kistler a student of The Big Yellow Drawing Book author? I liked the Draw Squad book and it had more exercises in it.

Remember the What to Draw and How to Draw It books that Hunter posted from public access? Looks like the author was Edwin George Lutz.

I thought there was another series, like Augsberger drawing books 1-4, that was public domain and I downloaded, but I don't have my computer handy to verify, and Google is saying "no."

• Like 2

YES! -- Mark Kistler (his book Draw Squad is GREAT, BTW), was the student of Dan O'Neill (author of The Big Yellow Drawing Book).

If the child is 7yo or older, then I'd say go for Draw Squad.

If the child is younger than 7yo, then maybe:
- How to Draw (Dover) -- or -- My First I Can Draw Book (Nelson)
- Step by Step Drawing Book --or-- Step by Step Drawing People (Usborne)
- Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of FacesAnimals; Make a World -- also fun are his Thumbprint Drawing Book; Big Green and Big Purple Drawing Books; and others by him
- Freddie Levine's 1-2-3 Drawing books

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SusanC said:

Wasn't Mark Kistler a student of The Big Yellow Drawing Book author? I liked the Draw Squad book and it had more exercises in it.

Remember the What to Draw and How to Draw It books that Hunter posted from public access? Looks like the author was Edwin George Lutz.

I thought there was another series, like Augsberger drawing books 1-4, that was public domain and I downloaded, but I don't have my computer handy to verify, and Google is saying "no."

Here are book reprints of Lutz's books: What to Draw and How to Draw It, and, Drawing Made Easy.

Here are pdf links to the Augsburg books:
book 1 (grades 1-3)
book 2 (grades 4-8)
book 3 (grades 4-8 + high school)

or as individual grades: grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, grade 6, grade 7, grade 8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1