Menu

Possible to use Apologia 2nd ed astronomy notebooking journal with 1st ed text?

StaceyinLA

Someone gave me the first ed Apologia elementary astronomy text. The notebooking journals are for the 2nd edition. Is it possible to use these with the first ed book? How difficult would it be to figure out which activities go with which lessons?

Has anyone done this?

I haven't done it, but I think it would be possible. The lessons/chapters mostly line up (some are combined and some names have changed - for example, the chapter about Pluto is now just called something about dwarf planets). I looked through the sample pages at CBD of the 2nd edition notebooking journal, and I was able to find all the same activities in the 1st edition text. So I think it's doable. It might not be exact, but it looks pretty close.

Of course, you could just do without the notebooking journal, as there are notebook suggestions in the text, and some of the journal sort of looks like busy work, but that's up to you.

1 hour ago, hollyhock2 said:

I haven't done it, but I think it would be possible. The lessons/chapters mostly line up (some are combined and some names have changed - for example, the chapter about Pluto is now just called something about dwarf planets). I looked through the sample pages at CBD of the 2nd edition notebooking journal, and I was able to find all the same activities in the 1st edition text. So I think it's doable. It might not be exact, but it looks pretty close.

Of course, you could just do without the notebooking journal, as there are notebook suggestions in the text, and some of the journal sort of looks like busy work, but that's up to you.

Well, I wound up ordering the 2nd edition text today. I read some positive reviews about the changes in the text, and figured it would be worth getting since I already had the notebooks. I think my grandkids will enjoy doing the notebooking. I went ahead and purchased notebooks for the other 2 books I already have, just in case they update those texts before we get to them. I don’t want to be dealing with this same issue in a year or two. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 7:21 PM, StaceyinLA said:

Well, I wound up ordering the 2nd edition text today. I read some positive reviews about the changes in the text, and figured it would be worth getting since I already had the notebooks. I think my grandkids will enjoy doing the notebooking. I went ahead and purchased notebooks for the other 2 books I already have, just in case they update those texts before we get to them. I don’t want to be dealing with this same issue in a year or two. 

Not related to your issues, but just wanted to say, the journals made the course for one of mine. One of mine was fine answering questions out of the book to plain notebook paper and saw all of the artsy stuff as extra, non necessary. My next, artistic kiddo thrived with the Apologia journals. We made them kind of like our unit study for that year. They include Bible in the form of verse copywork, so handwriting too, plus literature suggestions, creative writing around science activities, and extra hands on science activities. We discovered that she did so well with these types of artistic, coloring journals that we then moved into Thinking Tree journals for her for several years which provide the same format, but can be used around your whole curriculum, any that you choose, all subjects. So have fun and good luck with these! 

On 8/15/2020 at 10:04 AM, 2_girls_mommy said:

Not related to your issues, but just wanted to say, the journals made the course for one of mine. One of mine was fine answering questions out of the book to plain notebook paper and saw all of the artsy stuff as extra, non necessary. My next, artistic kiddo thrived with the Apologia journals. We made them kind of like our unit study for that year. They include Bible in the form of verse copywork, so handwriting too, plus literature suggestions, creative writing around science activities, and extra hands on science activities. We discovered that she did so well with these types of artistic, coloring journals that we then moved into Thinking Tree journals for her for several years which provide the same format, but can be used around your whole curriculum, any that you choose, all subjects. So have fun and good luck with these! 

I think that’s gonna be the case for my grandkids. They are really excited about them. We did the first little “project” Friday. I think all those extras really cement stuff for them, and I LOVE that it’s all right there for us in those notebooks!

• Like 1