Menu

Trying to decide which Latin program to use ...

Luanne

My daughter and I have no Latin experience at all and would both like to learn it. I am debating between using the Prima Latina program we already own or buying Latin for Children. Any other programs you think would be better can be suggested as well.

I don't think Prima or LfC would serve an adult as well as they serve early elementary students.

These are the programs that *I* (as an adult) have learned best from:

Henle Year 1 + Henle Grammar (excellent explanations & exercises, inexpensive, but dry dry dry).

Latin Book One - an out-of-print text (that's available free online, just google it). It's very much like Henle, but slightly "lighter" and not so dry. excellent Roman myth translations in it.

Latin Prep - a quirky, fun, filled-with-British-lit Latin program. great explanations, sarcasm, color, lots of reading & translating exercises. only down side: it's a bit pricey.

I'd also like to recommend Wheelock's Latin. It's not a favorite here, but there are so many supplemental materials and on-line helps. I personally like the format, but then again I'm a straight-forward, textbook type person.

You can see more about it here: http://www.wheelockslatin.com/chapters/introduction/introduction.html

I would recommend Henle and Oerberg's Lingua Latina. IMO, you've got the best of both worlds with these two programs. With Henle, you get a solid foundation in the Latin grammar, taught in a clear format, which helps build *retention* (something I think is not as well done via Wheelock's - the program I call "The Firehose Approach to learning Latin.) Lingua Latina gives you the practice in reading "Latin as Latin". (Lingua Latina does teach the Latin grammar, but it is done within the context of the story. I think it provides *excellent* "fleshing-out" kind of practice with the grammar.

The suggested course of action is to get a good "run" going with Henle, and then switch to Lingua Latina until you hit grammar you have not learned yet in Henle, then switch back to Henle, etc. You can spend A LOT of time on each chapter in LL. It's deceptively easy at first, but it quickly gets more complex, so take it slowly, and glean all you can by reading the chapters over and over again.

I think a combination of both g/t and reading-based methods are best. Personally, I did better with LL alone, but I am now going through Henle again w/my younger dd who prefers the format of Henle to LL. :)