Menu

No-Cost Homeschool

MindoverMatter

I'll second amblesideonline. It's not quite free since I can't find all the books in the library, but it's still pretty cheap. Next year, I'll still buy a science course, but other than that, I'll only spend about $150 for two grades in books I can't find elsewhere. Now, I do want to spend more money on Institute for Excellence in Writing. . .

Karen

This is absolutely the program that I am involved in here in Idaho. We are given an allotment to use to buy curric we have a contact teacher, but ultimately I am the boss I make the calls. IT IS GREAT!!!

Do the hsing laws there require that you do this? Can you opt out of the money and have no contact teacher? Basically, what are the hsing laws there like? (Trying to convince dh to move there).

Do the hsing laws there require that you do this? Can you opt out of the money and have no contact teacher? Basically, what are the hsing laws there like? (Trying to convince dh to move there).

Well currently there are no laws regarding hsing. Hs'ers don't have to answer to anyone, or take any testing. The academy that we are in is a state charter school. I chose it for our first year of hsing so that I could get some help from the contact teacher if I needed, so we will have to do the state testing. However, if you didn't want to enroll in the academy (it is called IDEA or Idaho Distance Education Academy if you wanna look for it on the web) you wouldn't have to. Idaho is a great state to hs in, no regulations of any kind. (I guess that could also be seen as a bad thing).

As for a potential move here...I would highly recommend it. It is an amazing place to live. The recreational options are great, the pace of life is great, BUT there is also some "culture" if you want it. I love it here!

Well currently there are no laws regarding hsing. Hs'ers don't have to answer to anyone, or take any testing. The academy that we are in is a state charter school. I chose it for our first year of hsing so that I could get some help from the contact teacher if I needed, so we will have to do the state testing. However, if you didn't want to enroll in the academy (it is called IDEA or Idaho Distance Education Academy if you wanna look for it on the web) you wouldn't have to. Idaho is a great state to hs in, no regulations of any kind. (I guess that could also be seen as a bad thing).

As for a potential move here...I would highly recommend it. It is an amazing place to live. The recreational options are great, the pace of life is great, BUT there is also some "culture" if you want it. I love it here!

Thanks for the info, that helps a lot. DH is attached to TX, where we currently live, due to the cost of living and availability of jobs, but when I started looking around, Idaho looked similar, and the summers aren't over 100 for months! There is no hsing regulation here, so it sounds like Idaho would be an easy transition.

my friend contacted a local christian school asking for textbooks and they gave her over 300 Abeka textbooks!! They just happened to be getting rid of them. They were very, very old (private schools use the books till they are almost falling apart) but in the lot I would say 90% of them were still together, and only 10% needed tape, etc.

So don't forget to contact local Christian and Catholic schools- especially the smaller ones. They don't mind helping people.

Another resource is the Book Depository. In our state each county is a school district, and each school district is required to have the public schools drop off all their old books into a warehouse where they are held there for any private schools, individuals, general public or business to pick up- basically anybody.

The timing of it is usually just at the end of the school year you should start calling, and then keep visiting all summer long for new books. The lady I spoke with in my county said the best time is right after school ends, and then there are some new stuff throughout the summer, and they close between December and March because there isn't anyone really dropping off or picking up enough then to keep it open and staffed.

Over the years, we have had an extremely limited budget at times to homeschool. However, educational materials are a necessity, and we treat them as such. Just as I don't expect groceries or heat to be free, I expect that education is not free. If you are not willing to invest your treasures as well as your time in your homeschool, I would wonder whether education is a high enough priority. I say that as someone who has been on a very limited income at times. :001_smile: Budget is always a consideration, but expecting "free" is a bit on the extreme side, at least long term. Educational materials cost money. If you are unable or unwilling to allocate at least a modest budget for your children's education, I think they may better off in a school setting.

I disagree. You do have to invest, but if money is tight you simply invest more time and creative effort. Materials are out there; on the internet, at the library, etc. It is much easier to place your order with a curriculum catalog than it is to look for free versions of the courses your child needs. But it can be done.

With the economy going the way it is I think carefully about what I would do if I needed to homeschool with zero budget and I am convinced that I could still do it.

Well, I'm going to agree with Tami for the most part.

I don't think the child would be better in a school setting, but I do think that free isn't a realistic option in the upper grades.

I've yet to see free. Even the internet stuff really isn't free, imo. In fact, several times I've tried a free whatever online and found that I could have spent LESS money buying a subject item (sometimes a BETTER product) than what I spent in ink, paper, and such.

For example, those MCP math workbooks are only about $15 new. There is no way I could print off an entire grade level of math for that price.

Also, the internet/computer can be fickle. If your entire curriculum is online and your computer crashes or you can't afford internet or the site goes AWOL or the site materials update and aren't compatible with your computer - you are sans any educational materials! I know of families where this has happened and it's happened to me to a minor degree, but enough to keep me from relying too much on the internet. If money is tight already, it really puts one up creek b/c they probably can't afford the sudden expense to repair the computer and certainly not to buy a new one or other curriculum.

Then there's the issue of computer time. Now, for someone with only 1 or 2 kids, it's probably not that big a deal. But in my home, if the majority of my children's education was via internet (online or printing off) it would be a logistics nightmare. Not to mention I have several children that simply do not learn well in front of a screen. (In fact, we do not permit children under 10 on the computer AT ALL.)

In the younger grades, I do think one can homeschool free or very nearly so. paper and pencil and buttons cover the basics just fine.:)

But in the upper grades, I can't imagine free being possible in attaining a quality education. Esp if the child is highly interested in the subject and needs it to be very in depth.

We are also on a very tight budget. And it's getting WAY tighter.

I think one can do it very cheap, but I think free is not a real possiblity.:grouphug:

Niclole-You should move to Idaho, as it is a great state for homeschoolers. Homeschoolers in Idaho do have a homeschool law. Home educators are required to provide education "comparable" to that offered in the public schools. This does not mean identical, so we do have a lot of freedom. Fortheboys is right, we don't have to test or register, and we work hard lobbying the legislature every year to keep it that way!

If you do ever move here, contact me. I publish a homeschool newsletter that goes out to hundreds of homeschoolers in Idaho.

If we can do it for free in the younger years we may be able to save small amounts of money to prepare for later years. We can purchase, say 50.00 savings bonds, and cash them out ten years later when our dc are in high school. Say someone is truly a frugal person on a truly fixed, tight income. ...the kind of person who is literally living on a few hundred dollars per month...

That person could save 50.00/year from 1-8th grade and come up with 400.00 to help defray expenses in 9-12th grade.

But if you look at OFE, she's got almost everything spelled out almost all the way to 12th grade already and it's almost completely free.

But the key word there is almost. I think it would be unrealistic to say that you could homeschool all the way through 12th grade for free, and then my fear is that you would get to the higher grades unprepared and feel frustrated and overwhelmed. It makes more sense to get a game plan going of saving or earning a little tiny bit of money now while you really CAN hs for free.

AND BTW I think using the library is a far better resource than printint stuff off the internet, whenever possible, because printing costs a lot of money, ink, paper and FRUSTRATION. I would rather get a half used workbook for free and spend 3 hours watching an old movie while whiting out or erasing than try to print stuff out all the time.

AND don't forget the Christian/Homeschool community- our support group is constantly sending out emails about stuff needed or free stuff available, and there are give aways every year of curriculum items. Heck I have a closet full of stuff!

Edited by Calming Tea

This is a great thread, and rereading parts of it this morning reminded me of something that we have not discussed. Curriculum is widely available for very little money. There are numerous used curriculum sales, used bookstores, thrift stores and yard sales every year. Since I do most of my shopping at these places I make a habit of buying whatever I think I might need if it is a good price. Then if I decide against it later, I resell it. This is our 10th year of homeschooling and I have shelves upon shelves of books. Because I also save things from my oldest to use with my younger two, I only had to buy a couple of workbooks for the younger two this year. All of our limited homeschool budget went to buy a used microscope and books for my oldest.

For high school, my best bet is library sales and the ongoing sale at my library. I try to check it every time I go in, as the paperbacks are .25 and hardcovers are .50. This includes many college textbooks. While I can't easily use these for math without a teacher's edition, the history and social science books make great reference reading.

Almost anything you want can be found used, unless it is brand new. (So I may have to splurge to add the 3rd ed. of TWTM to the other two on my shelf!)

By buying things ahead of when I might need them, I often have them on my shelf when we are ready for them. For example when my friend's son went off to college, she offered to sell me her Apologia texts. I bought both Chemistry and Biology, for $35 each (with all the supplemental materials) even though at that time my oldest was in 8th and would not need them immediately.

So even if I don't homeschool for free. I am able to reduce the costs by shopping ahead of time.

If we can do it for free in the younger years we may be able to save small amounts of money to prepare for later years. We can purchase, say 50.00 savings bonds, and cash them out ten years later when our dc are in high school. Say someone is truly a frugal person on a truly fixed, tight income. ...the kind of person who is literally living on a few hundred dollars per month...

That person could save 50.00/year from 1-8th grade and come up with 400.00 to help defray expenses in 9-12th grade.

But if you look at OFE, she's got almost everything spelled out almost all the way to 12th grade already and it's almost completely free.

But the key word there is almost. I think it would be unrealistic to say that you could homeschool all the way through 12th grade for free, and then my fear is that you would get to the higher grades unprepared and feel frustrated and overwhelmed. It makes more sense to get a game plan going of saving or earning a little tiny bit of money now while you really CAN hs for free.

AND BTW I think using the library is a far better resource than printint stuff off the internet, whenever possible, because printing costs a lot of money, ink, paper and FRUSTRATION. I would rather get a half used workbook for free and spend 3 hours watching an old movie while whiting out or erasing than try to print stuff out all the time.

AND don't forget the Christian/Homeschool community- our support group is constantly sending out emails about stuff needed or free stuff available, and there are give aways every year of curriculum items. Heck I have a closet full of stuff!

You've made valid suggestions... Thanks!

Well, I'm going to agree with Tami for the most part.

I don't think the child would be better in a school setting, but I do think that free isn't a realistic option in the upper grades.

I've yet to see free. Even the internet stuff really isn't free, imo. In fact, several times I've tried a free whatever online and found that I could have spent LESS money buying a subject item (sometimes a BETTER product) than what I spent in ink, paper, and such.

For example, those MCP math workbooks are only about $15 new. There is no way I could print off an entire grade level of math for that price.

Also, the internet/computer can be fickle. If your entire curriculum is online and your computer crashes or you can't afford internet or the site goes AWOL or the site materials update and aren't compatible with your computer - you are sans any educational materials! I know of families where this has happened and it's happened to me to a minor degree, but enough to keep me from relying too much on the internet. If money is tight already, it really puts one up creek b/c they probably can't afford the sudden expense to repair the computer and certainly not to buy a new one or other curriculum.

Then there's the issue of computer time. Now, for someone with only 1 or 2 kids, it's probably not that big a deal. But in my home, if the majority of my children's education was via internet (online or printing off) it would be a logistics nightmare. Not to mention I have several children that simply do not learn well in front of a screen. (In fact, we do not permit children under 10 on the computer AT ALL.)

In the younger grades, I do think one can homeschool free or very nearly so. paper and pencil and buttons cover the basics just fine.:)

But in the upper grades, I can't imagine free being possible in attaining a quality education. Esp if the child is highly interested in the subject and needs it to be very in depth.

We are also on a very tight budget. And it's getting WAY tighter.

I think one can do it very cheap, but I think free is not a real possiblity.:grouphug:

Hmmmm food for thought. Thanks!

And, here's a great list of free on-line high school courses and curriculum materials:

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/online_hs.htm

This is a thread that I have bookmarked that has loads of ideas for free curriculum K-6th grade, and probably some that would do for higher levels as well.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45173

HTH!

Thanks!

This is a great thread, and rereading parts of it this morning reminded me of something that we have not discussed. Curriculum is widely available for very little money. There are numerous used curriculum sales, used bookstores, thrift stores and yard sales every year. Since I do most of my shopping at these places I make a habit of buying whatever I think I might need if it is a good price. Then if I decide against it later, I resell it. This is our 10th year of homeschooling and I have shelves upon shelves of books. Because I also save things from my oldest to use with my younger two, I only had to buy a couple of workbooks for the younger two this year. All of our limited homeschool budget went to buy a used microscope and books for my oldest.

For high school, my best bet is library sales and the ongoing sale at my library. I try to check it every time I go in, as the paperbacks are .25 and hardcovers are .50. This includes many college textbooks. While I can't easily use these for math without a teacher's edition, the history and social science books make great reference reading.

Almost anything you want can be found used, unless it is brand new. (So I may have to splurge to add the 3rd ed. of TWTM to the other two on my shelf!)

By buying things ahead of when I might need them, I often have them on my shelf when we are ready for them. For example when my friend's son went off to college, she offered to sell me her Apologia texts. I bought both Chemistry and Biology, for $35 each (with all the supplemental materials) even though at that time my oldest was in 8th and would not need them immediately.

So even if I don't homeschool for free. I am able to reduce the costs by shopping ahead of time.

Thanks for your input ... once more!

:iagree: Research well ahead of time and create a rough course plan for highschool! It's saving me a bundle.

For example, I've researched math. I know I feel LoF, Lials, Jacobs Geometry, Jacobs Human Endeavors would be quality resources. Because I've looked at them and know the used prices and that I'd feel comfortable using them - I've kept my eyes open. And I found both Jacobs Geometry and HE complete sets like new for FREE used! I figure that saved me at least $150 if not more. I also have heard great things about Abeka and PH Chemistry. I found both of those in fairly new editions as complete sets used for FREE! Again that probably saved me a good bundle. BTW, I'm still hunting for biology w/ lab if anyone cares.;)

I've been keeping my eyes on literature studies too. I really want to use Kolbe's Literature Guides for middle school with my 3rd boy. I know I'm not going to get that used or for free. But I have the list of required books and I'm getting them as I find them free or cheaply used at the library book sales and used book stores. The library probably has them, but I figure I'm saving money not driving there all the time or not being able to attain the right book when we are ready for it and I view our home library as an investment. But I have 9 children, so it's not like anything I get won't be used again. Someone with a smaller family might find their library a better use of funds.

Also, planning ahead allows you more choices. You can be a bit picker about what you get because you don't need it NOW or int he next month. For example, I don't know which of those chemistry sets I'll use, but I figure if one doesn't work out, then I have another choice. Or if one works great with my oldest but not the next up. Normally, whatever we buy WILL BE USED because we flat out just cannot afford to ditch it mid year and buy something else. Sometimes that's fine, maybe even character building to a some degree, but other times it's really hard to see a kid struggle doing their best and knowing that the problem isn't them it's just a poor curriculum fit and worry that I'll have to redo some or all of the subject at some point.

Just my thougths so far. From a totally not doing highschool for another year perspective!:D