Menu

Big Sigh

bethben

Two years ago, we enrolled our last two children in a Charter school.  Dh said, "You are not allowed to homeschool again ever".  Then Covid hit.  Then all sorts of interruptions to school and now it's looking like constant interruptions to school proceeding normally.  They still haven't figured out if school is going to start again in August.  Added to that are all sorts of pretty restrictive rules.  One Covid case?  Three days off.  Second Covid case?  Another three days off. Third Covid case?  Two weeks off.  I get it - they are trying to keep this from spreading.  Added to that, our kids are at a school that cannot transition to e-learning easily.  I can't see the three days at home while they disinfect the school as being productive.  It will take the teachers at least a day to do anything of value online.  So, we are homeschooling again.  There is no other stable option at this time.  At least I have a 13 year rut that I developed so I know exactly how and what.  

Ironically, we have had enough problems with this school that we were letting our dd go to school with the knowledge that we may have to pull her out mid year.  We had a lot of contingencies for her going back.  Then, a week ago, our ds mentioned that school was really easy and boring for him.  He gets straight A+ without much effort.  So, we were questioning his attendance there also.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Yes, and they probably have some new skills and habits. Hopefully it will go well!!

They are both older.  My 15 year old is now an independent learner and I think my 13 year old can get there pretty quickly.  That makes homeschooling a lot easier.  I crashed and burned two years ago and am in a better place.  Homeschooling at this point is the much easier path.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

I hope it is a good change for your family, I remember how burned out you were. Our school plans had to completely change too, but at least there is more stability at home and a few years makes everything hit differently.

I call two years ago my crash and burn year.  I was a mess.  Physically, I still have issues, but I feel like they are on a better path.  I've also learned how incredibly ahead of the learning curve I was with my children so I know I can relax quite a bit and still know they are ahead of anything that is going to get learned with the chaotic e-learning/ in school system that Covid is bringing. The school they are at is not good at e-learning.  They did an OK job considering, but toward the last month, I was telling my dd to ignore about half of what they were telling her to do because it didn't contribute to learning and just made her frustrated.  The school sent out an email telling us the dress up day policies which include a peter pan collar for my daughter (who hates dressing up.  Both will need dress shoes (which both hate).  I feel like this should be the least of their concerns at this point.  Telling kids to make sure they have their uniform all ready to go for pictures?  While the whole county is trying to make contingency plans for school not even starting?!?!  During all the Covid preparations, the school was sending out surveys asking everyone if they wanted to have a dress up day for the kids.  I'm thinking, shouldn't you be focusing on and discussion about how you're going to stay open with craziness?!?!?  Anyway, getting out of it and letting crazy happen around me rather than being in the thick of it will be better.  Dh and I both felt that life will be much easier if we're not in constant flux.  Things may go smoothly and no one in the school gets Covid.  I'll be happy for them.  But, just stepping off crazy train will be nice.  

• Like 2