Menu

Can I whine for a minute

JustEm

I love my mom very much.  Overall, we have a wonderful relationship.  Such a good one that we decided to buy a house with an in-law suite so my parents can live with us even though they could completely live on there own.

but today I'm so sick of her!!!  She interrupts conversations like a toddler does and then gets upset when I ignore her interruptions because I'm talking to someone else.  She plays the victim over every little disagreement we have and every time tells me to  stop yelling at her, even though as an adult I have never yelled at her (and as a teenager I rarely did, we didn't have a difficult relationship then.)  Today she told me to stop disparaging her when I didn't respond enthusiastically to her interrupting a convo with dh to tell me she found 2 generic food storage containers.  And when I responded to that statement she simply said, 'It's going to be that kind of day.'  At that point I just stared at dh, who was smirking and holding in a laugh, and decided if I responded it would just make things worse.  So, I just continued my convo with dh. And while we're laughing about something she sharply asks, 'is my name being thrown around.'  No mom, we aren't talking about it with you 4 feet away.

We really do have a good relationship and things like this don't happen too often.  She didn't used to be this bad but she's always been sensitive.  Her anxiety is through the roof because of covid so these odd moments are increasing.  It has gotten to the point where I do not enjoy conversing with her most days right now.  

Anyway, just needed to whine so I get it all out and don't carry it over to our next interaction. 

• Sad 4

7 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Is it an option to get her anxiety treated?

She is being treated for her anxiety and depression. I imagine things would be worse if she was not medicated.  It really isn't terrible overall.  Today was just the wrong day for it to happen because I'm stressed about something else so my patience is almost non-existent.

Oh sending some hugs.   This is so hard for everyone.   The stress of this pandemic is really hard.   Plus being at home all the time with your family is stressful.   

Can you guys get some time away at all?  I don't know what the virus is like by you.   Maybe just a day road trip.   Our out in the yard when she is inside.    Or have her hang out with the kids and not you.  

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh sending some hugs.   This is so hard for everyone.   The stress of this pandemic is really hard.   Plus being at home all the time with your family is stressful.   

Can you guys get some time away at all?  I don't know what the virus is like by you.   Maybe just a day road trip.   Our out in the yard when she is inside.    Or have her hang out with the kids and not you.  

Yeah, I can easily avoid her in this house when I need to, which I've been doing since the incident.