Menu

Moving Beyond the Page

lulalu

8 hours ago, lulalu said:

Anyone use MBTP? Thoughts? 

We've been using it for the last 5 years.  We only use LA.  Overall I like the literature and writing portions, especially the book choices  I don't use the spelling because it's pretty much just a word list, at least what is written in my guide is.  They are selling new sets with an online spelling program, which I haven't seen, but I doubt it will be anything to write home about.  The grammar is fine, but if you are a hard-core WTMer you may find the grammar light.  For my child who tends to need spaced review, I add Daily Grams at half speed, covering one book over two years.  There is a lot of variety and interest in the MBTP lessons.  It's pretty adaptable to different types of learners/personalities.

We have never done the science of ss and it's never been a problem.

How open and go is it? How long will a lit. guide take? 

Each guide is roughly three weeks.  Any supplies are noted at the front of the unit.  Mbtp integrates art and music across the subjects, so if you do those there will be more prep.  We use a separate art and music so I don't need to gather materials for those sorts of things.  My sensitive artist type of child generally does any drawing activities that are included.  That is just paper and colored pencils, which you probably already have accessible. 

Once or twice in each unit the child is instructed to "research (some topic) on the internet."  The kids then use the info to fill out graphic organizers, write a short composition, create interview questions, etc.  In this way they are learning to use search words, find appropriate sources, paraphrase, and skim text for information.  I sometimes add related non-fiction books in place of using the internet.  I'd say this adds around 30 minutes or so per unit to look over lessons, determine which (if any) books I want, and place them on reserve. 

I think I spend around 10 min per unit making sure I request any required books and previewing any internet links in the lesson plans  In terms of daily prep I only look over the lesson to see what we will be doing, so around 5 minutes.  Doing all the art projects would add maybe 30-45 minutes of prep to the unit and then whatever you need to do to manage paint or sculpture activities would need to be set up that day.

HTH. I am looking forward to starting the 7-9 level with my youngest this fall.

• Like 1