Menu

Core Knowledge

Pensguys

Has anyone here used the Core Knowledge Curriculum for history (you can use it for lots of subjects but I'm wondering specifically about history)? These are set up like small unit studies.

My friend has used it this year and really likes it, but I'm not sure if I want to invest that kind of money to use for just one child.

Has anyone here used the Core Knowledge Curriculum for history (you can use it for lots of subjects but I'm wondering specifically about history)? These are set up like small unit studies.

My friend has used it this year and really likes it, but I'm not sure if I want to invest that kind of money to use for just one child.

I am using CKS history, What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know, with my PK ds. I am not sure what you mean about the money. I bought What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know ($15) and My World and Globe ($15). We have also used these, books off my shelf, and the library.

MCP has created a social studies program that is based on CKS that is about $150. I might buy this next year, because it will make my life easier. However, it certainly isn't necessary.

You could just use What Your "blank" Needs to Know and the library or even the internet. Scholastic even has a list of their books that correlate with the CKS and you could check them out from the library.

HTH-

Mandy

Yes, it is the $150 program that my friend is using. I really like it but I'm just not sure if I want to spend the money. I like how (in 3rd grade) you study some US history and also about Canada. I think 2nd grade was US and Mexico.

I'm just not sure of how I'll even resell it if I decide to buy it.

I've used some of the 4th grade History if you mean the Pearson Learning History. It was great. The teacher guides were easy to use and the student text very clear and easy to read. We stopped because my daughter was going back to public school.

There is a CK yahoo group but I don't remember the name. You can find the History programs for sale sometimes.

BTW, thanks for reminding me about it. That might fit our needs when we are done with CHOW for dd9. :)