Menu

What to toss after power outage?

Our power went out on Friday afternoon at 1:00pm after a rain/windstorm.  It was off for about 30 hours.  Some of the stuff in the freezer I was able to save but I have a couple of questions on fridge items.  I know butter is fine & milk, cream, cream cheese are going but what about eggs, buttermilk, and orange juice?  I assume bacon needs to go as well.  Any wisdom?  Not surprised by the outage, 2020 wouldn’t be have complete without one.  A whole house generator is on my to do list for Monday....

40 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Honestly if it's cured bacon, I'd just cook it ASAP. How warm did stuff get? Was it still in the 50's? 60's? I might not pitch any of the stuff you listed. Well, I would the OJ if it wasn't pasteurized........

ETA- I'm a big fan of just cooking stuff and then freezing the cooked version. 

One was cured bacon, the other uncured.  The OJ was Tropicana so pasteurized.  I don’t really know the temp it got to.  My parents still had power so we went to their house last night.  I was at the house this afternoon and the power wasn’t on and I didn’t want to mess with stuff, but when I came over at 6:30 to get church clothes for tomorrow (they changed our estimated time from 6pm tonight to 11:30pm tomorrow night) it was actually back on, possibly for two hours.  The garage fridge is kept cold, but it is 50 years old and doesn’t have the best performance characteristics.

So do you think unopened shredded cheese would be ok to put into lasagne tomorrow since it would be baked?

43 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

My eyes popped out at 50 year old fridge. You have a working appliance that old ???? What brand ?? I would like my next fridge to be that. 

In my native country, when it flooded so much one year, appliances floated, the only thing salvageable was a samsung washer. Guess what brand we own ?? 

It is a GE, but they don’t make them like they used to.  It really should be retired, but I haven’t brought myself to do it.  I would bet it isn’t all original as my father was known to work on anything that broke until it couldn’t be resurrected.  Our fridge in the kitchen is a kitchenaide that is about 12 years old.

We had a power outage a couple of weeks ago for almost 24 hours.  I did not open the fridge during that time.  It remained reasonably cold and nothing in the freezer defrosted.  I kept bacon, eggs, hard cheeses, OJ.   I threw out the milk.