Menu

Moving to Memoria Press from Latin Alive

dsbrack

I have an upcoming 7th grader who has finished Latin for Children A & B and the first unit of Latin Alive.  We both feel that Latin Alive is not going to be a good fit for further Latin studies.  I've been looking at the Memoria Press Latin options and I'm not sure where we should start.  Maybe Third Form Latin or Henle I?  Has anyone moved from Latin Alive to a Memoria Press product?  What was your experience like?

14 hours ago, dsbrack said:

I have an upcoming 7th grader who has finished Latin for Children A & B and the first unit of Latin Alive.  We both feel that Latin Alive is not going to be a good fit for further Latin studies.  I've been looking at the Memoria Press Latin options and I'm not sure where we should start.  Maybe Third Form Latin or Henle I?  Has anyone moved from Latin Alive to a Memoria Press product?  What was your experience like?

I would call MP and discuss.  They are very helpful and knowledgeable.

• Like 2

I agree that the MP folks are helpful and you should contact them, and the MP forum is also very active. This link shows that they expect a 7th grader who has been doing MP Latin the whole time to be in 3rd form. (But switching programs might cause gaps.)

https://www.memoriapress.com/articles/which-latin-program-do-i-start-with/

This link also says the forms (1-4) basically take 4 years to cover Year 1 of Henle Latin, so you might do Henle 1 at a much slower pace. You'd still be on track with high school Latin if it took you 2-3 years. OTOH, you might not like Henle... Some people don't.

Can I ask why you didn't go on to Primer C? Since Latin Alive is also from CAP, it seems like skipping a level. I think finishing Primer C is supposed to put you in a good position to start a high school program like Henle. I am doing Primer B with my 5th grader next year and planning to take it slow, hoping to finish C by the end of 8th grade. And then not sure about what to do for high school since a lot of people dislike Henle and I don't want to force it at that age.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 5:10 PM, Emily ZL said:

I agree that the MP folks are helpful and you should contact them, and the MP forum is also very active. This link shows that they expect a 7th grader who has been doing MP Latin the whole time to be in 3rd form. (But switching programs might cause gaps.)

https://www.memoriapress.com/articles/which-latin-program-do-i-start-with/

This link also says the forms (1-4) basically take 4 years to cover Year 1 of Henle Latin, so you might do Henle 1 at a much slower pace. You'd still be on track with high school Latin if it took you 2-3 years. OTOH, you might not like Henle... Some people don't.

Can I ask why you didn't go on to Primer C? Since Latin Alive is also from CAP, it seems like skipping a level. I think finishing Primer C is supposed to put you in a good position to start a high school program like Henle. I am doing Primer B with my 5th grader next year and planning to take it slow, hoping to finish C by the end of 8th grade. And then not sure about what to do for high school since a lot of people dislike Henle and I don't want to force it at that age.

They were in the middle of updating Primer C when we were ready for that level.  On the Latin Alive page, they suggest skipping C and going to Alive 1 or doing C and going to Latin Alive 2.  We have contemplated back tracking to Primer C at this point but I think we will go on to Third Form.  My son needed the bells and whistles of the CAP program to get started but would benefit from a bare bones approach at this point.  I'm hoping MP Forms will be the way to go.  After speaking to MP, they thought he would be able to do 2nd Form as a review or Third Form with only a few topics not touched on before. Thank you for your advice and the link provided!

Edited by dsbrack