Menu

High School English

I haven't been active on this board for a few years. Once we figured out what we liked, I didn't need it as much any more. But, I'm now out of the loop on what's out there. My daughter will be in 11th grade next year. She's been taking English a year ahead with a grandma/former private school teacher for the past two years. So, has had English 10 & English 11 so far. The lady only teaches one class, hence why she's a year ahead. But, she's also pretty bright with language and I knew she could handle it. DD enjoys writing and creating stories (when she doesn't let her perfectionism get in the way. ) It's important that she have a skilled teacher for this subject so that she's prepared for whatever her future might hold. (with my other two it was just a box to check) Anyway, the plan is to take English 12 with this teacher next year. But, with COVID uncertaintly, I kinda feel like we need a plan B just in case everything gets locked down again and they don't have class. What's out there for an online class that is good, solid, and challenging? This teacher means business, so it hasn't been a fluff class. I want something that will continue to challenge and and move her forward. And, I need to not be in charge of it. We planned all her classes to be online, co-op or this so that she could be accountable to outside teachers. 

Sounds like she might be ready for AP English Language or AP English Literature. My 15-year old took Lang last year with Lili Serbicki at AIM Academy and will take Ms. Serbicki’s Lit class this year. She teaches both through AIM and PA Homeschoolers. I really love her classes because they are rich, but lean. The reading list is varied and challenging, but not overwhelming. She gives excellent feedback on essays, but is a tough grader. 

• Like 2

- Blue Tent (secular) -- Honors English 2; AP English Lit. & Comp; Advanced Senior Lit. & Comp

Lukeion (secular; rigorous) -- AP English Literature (2 semesters); Muse series (2 semesters Ancient classics); Mythology series (2 semesters Ancient myths); The Classical Bard (1 semester Shakespeare)

- Center for Lit. (Christian) -- American Lit.; British Lit; World Lit.

- Well-Trained Mind Academy -- Classics of East Asian Lit; Lit. of Ancient World; Lit. of Medieval & Renaissance World; Lit. of Early Modern World; Lit of the New World; Shakespeare Comedies