Menu

Were any of you or any of your dc advanced enough to skip a grade?

I graduated a year early from high school. I knew in 8th grade that I wanted to do this so we worked with my high school counselor to make a plan. In 9th/10th grade I took two English classes to meet the state's requirements. I was already ahead in math (and taking math classes at community college). I'm very glad I graduated a year early. I left home and went out of state for college at age 17 and I was so ready for that. :) My older sister did the same. She finished her freshman year while still 17 (she turned 18 a few days after it ended ;)).

I wasn't a big fan of high school. I loved college. :)

I finished high school early, as did one of my sisters. My district permitted grade-skipping, but my elementary school principal did not allow it at all, and I did not want to switch schools. Looking back, skipping earlier would have been less awkward for me than the patchwork subject acceleration we had to arrange each year.

We are still working out exactly how we will classify dd once we have to file paperwork, but we started her K curriculum a year earlier than she could have started ps, and the past couple of years have been very successful, so I have no regrets there.

There's a lot of information here and it's helpful. I never doubted that this would be a decision based very much on my dd's individual needs and circumstances. But, it has been valuable to me to have your experiences explained as we consider this.

Kay in Cal - I've downloaded that report and look forward to reading in today. I expect to set up a meeting with the school counselor and principal as soon as possible.

With gratitude,

i had the opportunity, twice, to skip ahead a grade. i did so temporarily in elementary school, second or third grade, but moved back to my old class after a few weeks. the work in the higher grade was still too easy and that teacher just stuck me at a table myself to work independently. my opinion is that moving ahead a grade does not really address the underlying needs of a truly gifted student. a program geared specifically towards gifted students is a better fit and is what i participated in for the remainder of my elementary and middle school years. i also participated in independent study.

in high school i took honors courses, extra english, science, and math, and participated in a work-study program my senior year because i had already taken all of the high-level courses my small school offered. i had the option of early graduation.

i would consider these options and ask the school about them over skipping a grade.

Do you have Running Start college options (early college entrance) in your state? In Washington a student can earn a high school degree and a college AA at the same time....for free! It is a great option for those kids who are ready for it and don't like the high school drama. I would also encourage you to look at the advanced academic track and really spend time talking to the couselor about proper class placement.