Menu

Chalkdust vs Thinkwell

Nam2001

I’ve been looking at both as well. Chalk dust will send you a free dvd with samples of the lessons for all grades they offer, he’s a lovely teacher from what I can see. Think well seems like a nice option too, I’d have your kid do the free 14-day trial with thinkwell and then watch the DVD sample from Chalkdust and see what they like best.

College of the redwoods has a free pre algebra course with free teaching videos that may fit the bill. The textbook is only $20, so it’s a cost effective choice.

thinkwell is computer and printed workbook and chalkdust is dvd and textbook

2 hours ago, ghcostafamily said:

I’ve been looking at both as well. Chalk dust will send you a free dvd with samples of the lessons for all grades they offer, he’s a lovely teacher from what I can see. Think well seems like a nice option too, I’d have your kid do the free 14-day trial with thinkwell and then watch the DVD sample from Chalkdust and see what they like best.

College of the redwoods has a free pre algebra course with free teaching videos that may fit the bill. The textbook is only $20, so it’s a cost effective choice.

thinkwell is computer and printed workbook and chalkdust is dvd and textbook

Thanks. I’ll check out College of the Redwoods. 
I did sign up before the free trial of thinkwell. 
I think I’m having a hard time finding out where these two programs lineup in terms of thoroughness, rigor, and effectiveness. Are they similar to CLE, Saxon, AOPS, Math Mammoth, Teaching Textbooks, etc...... not in how the program works for but more how challenging it is. Do you know? 

22 hours ago, Nam2001 said:

Thanks. I’ll check out College of the Redwoods. 
I did sign up before the free trial of thinkwell. 
I think I’m having a hard time finding out where these two programs lineup in terms of thoroughness, rigor, and effectiveness. Are they similar to CLE, Saxon, AOPS, Math Mammoth, Teaching Textbooks, etc...... not in how the program works for but more how challenging it is. Do you know? 

I don’t have any personal experience with these programs personally, but I would compare the scope and sequence of each program and that should give you a starting place. I know Memoria press uses College of the redwoods for their pre-algebra, and AOPS is always mentioned for for being challenging. That being said, if your child gets the material and can fly through the course, they can move into higher maths sooner. As long as the child is grasping the concepts, and building in their foundation of math skills you can’t go wrong with any program IMHO 😉

• Thanks 1