Menu

WFPB anyone--- (not strictly veg)

Soror

3 months ago tomorrow I started following The Daily Dozen app. The goal has just been to increase the healthy foods to crowd out the not so healthy things but I've continued to adhere to it more closely. For the last 2 weeks I've ticked all the food boxes (I've missed a few days of exercising but hit that most days too) and have continually been decreasing my meat consumption. I've tried and failed at veg, vegan a couple of times (ended up not feeling the best after a time despite focusing on whole veg foods) so I've liked the WFPB approach better as it is not strictly veg. I am finding that the increase in beans and whole grains has increased satiety and I've had a lot less desire for meat, even when I've planned it for a meal I often end up skipping it. I was on the paleo diet for a decade and even then felt the absolute best with as much fresh foods (fruits, veggies, and nuts then) as I could manage so that is not new at all, I've worked for years on increasing produce, I love that hitting the daily dozen I hit 9 servings of fruit and veggies at a minimum (usually I hit more than that but that is a great baseline). 

Anyone else eating WFPB? 

Fav recipes?

Bloggers, books, websites you like?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, soror said:

3 months ago tomorrow I started following The Daily Dozen app. The goal has just been to increase the healthy foods to crowd out the not so healthy things but I've continued to adhere to it more closely. For the last 2 weeks I've ticked all the food boxes (I've missed a few days of exercising but hit that most days too) and have continually been decreasing my meat consumption. I've tried and failed at veg, vegan a couple of times (ended up not feeling the best after a time despite focusing on whole veg foods) so I've liked the WFPB approach better as it is not strictly veg. I am finding that the increase in beans and whole grains has increased satiety and I've had a lot less desire for meat, even when I've planned it for a meal I often end up skipping it. I was on the paleo diet for a decade and even then felt the absolute best with as much fresh foods (fruits, veggies, and nuts then) as I could manage so that is not new at all, I've worked for years on increasing produce, I love that hitting the daily dozen I hit 9 servings of fruit and veggies at a minimum (usually I hit more than that but that is a great baseline). 

Anyone else eating WFPB? 

Fav recipes?

Bloggers, books, websites you like?

I've been eating WFPB for a few years, after many years of being vegetarian and vegan. Best thing I have ever done for my health!

I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded - WFPB is no animal products of any kind.

Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures is hands down my favorite recipe site. I've made dozens of their recipes - probably 100+ - and every single one is delicious.

https://monkeyandmekitchenadventures.com

There are some really good WFPB Facebook groups, too. Plant Based Eating, Forks Over Knives Official Plant Based Group, Whole Food Plant Based No Oil Recipes, T.Colin Campbell Plant-Based Nutrition, and Whole Food Plant Based Nutrition are a few good ones.

12 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I've been eating WFPB for a few years, after many years of being vegetarian and vegan. Best thing I have ever done for my health!

I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded - WFPB is no animal products of any kind.

Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures is hands down my favorite recipe site. I've made dozens of their recipes - probably 100+ - and every single one is delicious.

https://monkeyandmekitchenadventures.com

There are some really good WFPB Facebook groups, too. Plant Based Eating, Forks Over Knives Official Plant Based Group, Whole Food Plant Based No Oil Recipes, T.Colin Campbell Plant-Based Nutrition, and Whole Food Plant Based Nutrition are a few good ones.

Thank you for the reply. I have seen that page and have enjoyed her recipes. I'll check out the others you have listed.

From what I read I understood the label to mean that your focus is on whole foods and plant based. Reading How Not to Die he talks about how the most important thing is what you eat day to day, not special occasion food. He talk about the more plan foods the better. Perhaps, others take a different stance on the label or I'm reading it differently than others do.

I'm striving to continue increase plant foods and decrease animal products and seeing where it leads me.

Edited by soror

44 minutes ago, soror said:

Thank you for the reply. I have seen that page and have enjoyed her recipes. I'll check out the others you have listed.

From what I read I understood the label to mean that your focus is on whole foods and plant based. Reading How Not to Die he talks about how the most important thing is what you eat day to day, not special occasion food. He talk about the more plan foods the better. Perhaps, others take a different stance on the label or I'm reading it differently than others do.

I'm striving to continue increase plant foods and decrease animal products and seeing where it leads me.

Ah, you're probably right that some people do it that way. I haven't come across anyone on the WFPB sites or groups who eats animal products. I do remember the part in How Not to Die where someone didn't want to give up their grandma's chicken soup, and Dr. Greger said if it was only once a month, your body could handle the insult. 

Sounds like you are doing great. The more plants, the better!🌱

Wow on ticking all the Daily Dozen food boxes! I have been veg for 30 something years, but with a significant junk food habit. I have just started tracking the Daily Dozen - I am not ticking all the boxes for sure, but even so I am definitely less hungry! Still having my daily candy bar and coke ( and ok, my donut too) but way less fast food and junk throughout the day. It is really fun to figure out how to maximize good food in every meal, it seems like a lot of the not so good stuff is falling by the wayside.