Menu

Grammar for the Well Trained Mind - where to start older student

I have a 4th grader who has completed the First Language Lessons curriculum. He struggles with writing sentences (often leaves out words, writes run on sentences and misspells), and we're working through that this summer (I haven't done a formal writing curriculum with him and only spot-check narrations.) I also have a 7th grader whose elementary grammar was in a hybrid school using a public school textbook (Sadlier Grammar Connect), and in 6th grade we started with Classical Conversations English Language Lessons, did some lessons from First Language Lessons, and completed a Khan Academy grammar unit. He thinks grammar is pointless because he knows how to write sentences and speak correctly, so why does it matter which part of speech a word is? He's a strong writer. Should I start them both in the purple book or put the 7th grader in a higher level?

41 minutes ago, mjeaustin said:

Should I start them both in the purple book or put the 7th grader in a higher level?

As I understand it, all the Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind workbooks are non-sequential.  They all cover the same ground, just with different exercises, so they can be done in any order.  None are "higher level" than the others.

ETA: Is your 4th grader just finishing 4th grade or going to be starting 4th grade in the fall?  In that the rec'd age range is 11yo+/5th+.

Edited by forty-two

• 4 weeks later...

You can start in any color book for GFWTM.  Like the previous poster said, they are non-sequential and cover the same material with hopefully higher levels of mastery each time you go through it.  I will say that I tried the program with a 5th grader and it was way too overwhelming for him to feel successful.  We slowed it way down and still only went about 1/2 through before returning to Rod & Staff.  There is no way I would try it with a 4th grader but it is absolutely enough for a 7th grader.  

Agree - GFWTM is too much for a fourth grader. I wouldn’t try it until 6th or even 7th grade, depending on the child. If your 7th grader doesn’t like grammar, he might really hate it even more with GFWTM. GFWTM is kind of like grammar for grammar enthusiasts. I say this even though we love SWB’s books. There are samples online that you can look at to see whether it might be a good fit for your DC