Menu

Trip during COVID--how to lower risk

sbgrace

My parents, who are at higher risk for COVID complications due to both health and age factors, had been planning an important trip in July. 

They have a condo rental (time share type) in South Carolina and planned to share the trip with another family, including a young adult, who will also have their own rental unit in the same building.

The expectation is that there would be quite a bit of shared time in one or other other condo together. My parents will be driving, but this family will be flying in from Texas. My parents will not be comfortable asking that family to do anything extra to lower their exposure pre-trip. I am assuming the plane trip itself increases the risk they will bring COVID to the trip.

I won't go into personal information...but this visit is extremely important to all people involved from an emotional perspective. 

I, I think everyone, had kind of assumed that it would be postponed, but the condo is now open...so, it's a go. My parents are still isolating now, even though our state is open. They are nervous about exposure, but determined.

I'm trying to think of ways my parents can mitigate risk with this visit. Only visit in the other family's condo--maybe wearing a face shield?? How risky will it be? I don't really know, but I feel worried. 

Edited by sbgrace

Only visit outside, wearing 3 layer, 3 material masks,  (whenever not eating anyway).  And eye protection (could be face shield plus mask) 

maintain 6 feet minimum distance.   No hugs etc

Don’t visit in their own unit at all.  

Give two weeks if possible before any visit inside the other unit and/or deal with visits to other unit with similar care as they would to a medical appointment where others in waiting room might have CV19. 

Take possibly helpful vitamins etc 

Watch videos on Cheddar nursing home in UK for ideas...

Edited by Pen