Menu

Self-studying for AP Psych and Language

We're not able to sign up for AP classes, so DD will study AP Psych and AP Lang on her own for 10th grade. I created an account with CB today and that's about it. 

Can I just use any random online syllabus for each class and submit them to the CB? I don't know any resources for either subject, so I won't know what to tweak.

She was planning to study for AP Lit in 10th grade based on her Barron's multiple choice exams that indicate she can start thinking about the essay portion for 10th grade, but I read here that most people take AP Lang before AP Lit.

For AP Psych, she is genuinely interested in the subject and is very willing to read any book related to psychology starting in the summer.

Are there any must-have resources and any particular timeline I need to be aware of? She'll probably start reading through a psychology book this summer. But I don't know how to prepare her for AP Lang or even AP Lit. Our only experience with AP is with AP Latin at Lukeion. 

My senior did self-study for the AP Psychology exam this year. He read through Myers' Psychology for the AP® Course, Third Edition as his primary text and liked it pretty well. He then supplemented with various YouTube videos (Crash Course has a psychology series, and there were other assorted videos on the topic). 

This year, for the online exams, CollegeBoard released lots of YouTube videos covering the content of the courses. My son found these to be really helpful for all of his AP subjects (he absolutely loved one of the AP Physics C Mechanics teachers and also really liked the Calc BC teachers as well. Lots of good content out there!), so I recommend checking out those YT videos as a content review since they are very specific to the CB exams.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much! I almost feel like we can tackle AP Psych now knowing that your son did it with those resources. I just bought the Meyers book that PA Homeschool uses (not AP specific), but I’m going to see if I can find the one you referenced since I won't be able to provide extra content that an online vendor can.

I looked through the requirements of AP Lang, and I don't think I can tackle this one. We've always had online teachers for English since 5th grade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazyforlatin said:

Thanks so much! I almost feel like we can tackle AP Psych now knowing that your son did it with those resources. I just bought the Meyers book that PA Homeschool uses (not AP specific), but I’m going to see if I can find the one you referenced since I won't be able to provide extra content that an online vendor can.

I looked through the requirements of AP Lang, and I don't think I can tackle this one. We've always had online teachers for English since 5th grade.

I will also add that my son was not the most consistent throughout the year with getting the reading done. He had some other heavy workload classes and psychology sometimes happened in bits and spurts (and weekends!). In spite of his limited bandwidth for it, he really enjoyed learning the material and that AP is considered one of the "lighter" ones, so perfect for self-study! I'm pretty sure that I got the text used on amazon for a reasonable price, so hopefully you can rustle one up.

We are a hardcore stem family and did no English APs of any sort (doesn't look like kid #2 will be doing any either, lol!), so I'm no help with that one. 

• Thanks 1