Menu

Computer literacy/engineering options for 8th grade Science

ByGrace3

My ds is interested in a career in engineering. He was on a FIRST LEGO League team for the last two years and it doesn't look like they will have a team this year. I would love for him to do something for "science" this year that he loves even remotely as much as FLL. He has done many if not close to all of the EV3 online lessons. I have looked at Masterbooks Applied Engineering course and while I think he would like the content, there is nothing hands on or engaging. I saw a robotics program 42 electronics, and that is a possibility. He is not very computer savvy and could definitely benefit from a class in computer literacy. (he does typing.com). Any other fantastic options for engineering or computer literacy? In the future he may like to do some classes in CAD and maybe get certified, but I think he needs to be a little more adept in computers before that. 

Any great ideas?

If wanting a more traditional Science, Physics absolutely is the bedrock science for engineering. What about this online full-year class for gr. 8-12, that is NON-math-based, and is offered by Jetta (Morning Glory of these boards), with lots of hands-on, plus video support:

Clover Creek Conceptual Physics

For an elective in Computer Science (not a Science credit), what about learning to Code? Free resources:
Code Academy
Code.org
Khan Academy
Code Combat
Code Monster 

If needing more Computer skills, what about running through one of these lists of info/skills first, and then learn to code:
- Typing.com: Computer Basics

- Norton Security: Computer Guide for Students

Also, more of a self-exploration type of software but these all involve engineering in a simple form:
Kerbal Space Program - fantastic game/software for creating vehicles and completing missions into space
Tinker CAD - beginning/exploration CAD program for turning ideas into blueprints/designs

Some hands-on engineering possibilities:
Make, Do
Tinker Crate or Maker Crate or Eureka Crate
Lego MindStorm
Raspberry Pi projects
electronics kits

Edited by Lori D.

21 hours ago, Lori D. said:

If wanting a more traditional Science, Physics absolutely is the bedrock science for engineering. What about this online full-year class for gr. 8-12, that is NON-math-based, and is offered by Jetta (Morning Glory of these boards), with lots of hands-on, plus video support:

Clover Creek Conceptual Physics

Just to be clear, Clover Creek Physics is amazing, the best online class my DS17 has ever had, but it is algebra-based physics. She does use the Conceptual Physics book, which is non-math based, but she adds lots of algebra-based problems to it. The homework and tests are actually pretty math intensive.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

Just to be clear, Clover Creek Physics is amazing, the best online class my DS17 has ever had, but it is algebra-based physics. She does use the Conceptual Physics book, which is non-math based, but she adds lots of algebra-based problems too it. The homework and tests are actually pretty math intensive.

Thanks for that clarification -- I was thinking of the Conceptual Physics text itself. 😉 

• Like 1