Menu

The can't-do-summer-camp what-now thread

So what are your new plans (if any) for summer?

Most if not all of my kids' summer camps have been canceled.  However, some of them are offering online options.  My first thought was, nah, the kids won't be engaged.  But now I am thinking of doing at least 1 or 2 of them.

Since I have no confidence in what my kids are retaining as they wrap up 8th grade online, I intend to require them to do somewhat intensive math over the summer.  I am looking at online writing programs also.  I have other ideas for review of middle school content, but who knows if it will get done ....

Kid2 will do horse riding (it has already started back up).  Not sure about Kid1, who is normally my athlete but currently a couch potato.  She needs to get back into running at least.  And hopefully our TKD dojang will reopen for the summer.

AHG cross-over was delayed, so we will probably catch up on that during the summer. 

Our church mentioned they are still doing VBS, so if that happens, I will push at least one of my kids to volunteer for that.

For your current couch potato: Does your Dojang offer live video lessons currently? Ours does ... Another idea is to get her a phone app for yoga like Down Dog which is currently free and ask her to do yoga for 30 minutes a day. Of course she could pick up running outside if the weather is better in your area.

Edited by mathnerd

My DD is doing two online classes and a one week summer virtual camp focused on sharks. Plus college application stuff and working on the online classes she's teaching next fall. I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe, we can do a few day getaway sometime later in the summer.

My dancer is doing a few weeks of online virtual ballet intensives, and hoping for some in-person small-group classes or privates as well.  She’ll also be doing online SAT tutoring.

My youngest is starting high school and may be taking a health class online. I want to find her some sort of online art camp/intensive. If you know of anything please let me know! I’m just starting to research this.

The Boy Scout camp my younger son works at is still planning sessions this summer, although they are shortening from 7 weeks of camp to 5.  It is an overnight camp, so things will not be the same -- i.e., dining is going to be set up differently, there will be twice daily temperature checks and record keeping, some merit badge sessions like cooking won't be held at all, and if one kid in a troop gets sick, the whole troop has to go home.   I'm not sure what the requirements are regarding masks, but my son as a counselor has been asked to bring two cloth masks. In reality, I'm not sure enough people will keep their camp reservations to make it viable.  In our own troop, at least half the people have canceled because they don't want to deal with all the rules, and they know they will be difficult to enforce anyhow..   While my son does not love all the rules he will have to follow, he loves working at camp so he will be there as long as they are open.